Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tungsten bucking bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tungsten bucking bars

So I made the expensive error of borrowing a tungsten bucking bar from a mate to use on the main spars. The error was expensive because I now feel I can't do without one! Advice from anyone on the best overall size for the Bearhawk build?

You're right. You can't do without one! :-)
    Tungsten bars are wonderful. The typical ones that are "around" 4"x3/4"x1/2" work just fine. I've used mine to build an entire RV-8 and the Patrol wings. No other bars needed.
    David Edgemon RV-9A N42DE flying RV-8 N48DE flying Patrol #232 N553DE in progress ! Plans built.

Comment

I've got a 1x4x5/8 bar and love it. Bought it on a whim back when I first got building. Even the old pros around here like it, and they're a tough bunch to sway from old habits

Comment

You got me curious. What's the benefit?
        Mark
        Scratch building Patrol #275
        Hood River, OR

Comment

I'm only a newbie when it comes to this process, but il do my best to explain. Some of the "old salts" in here may be able to do a better job of explaining. I started off using a regular steel bucking bar and didn't really know any different. Friends of mine that service our skydiving aircraft started to give me advice and one of them loaned me his tungsten bucking bar. It is seriously heavy by comparison. When you're riveting it does not move, or transfer the shock to your hands. The result is a much more consistently driven rivet. There is also substantially less shock transferred through your hands, which is infinitely more comfortable. I also briefly borrowed a recoil-less rivet gun, which I didn't know existed. The difference is hard to believe. The 3rd suggestion was to use gloves when riveting, also to reduce shock. Just the cheap garden gloves with a rubber palm. This I have not tried yet, but so far their advice is spot on. I suspect my current bucking bars will be used for paper weights!

Comment

• marcusofcotton
            marcusofcotton commented
            Editing a comment
            Well said, wish I'd purchased one (or two) earlier!
            Mark J

The tungsten steel is much more dense, so you can have a smaller bar with the same mass, or a heavier bar of the same size.

Comment

Working...
          X