Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Trade Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Trade Show

Well, the trade show in ANC was a lot of fun. I had a great time with everyone there, especially getting to know Ben Pratt and Elise Tyrrell. Mark Goldberg and Ben were working the crowd on the outside of the hangar while Dan Shilling and I were on the inside at the booth. Saw a lot of people and tons of neat stuff. Thanks to AKPhil who flew commercially all the way from Fairbanks for the show! The weather was great and the evenings were even better. Special thanks to Dan for once again providing me a place to stay and coming to assist when I had issues with my vehicle. You are the best Dan!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Here are a couple more pics. One of Ben and Elise by Ben's Patrol. And the other of the best volunteer crew that any kit manufacturer could ever hope to have. Thanks a ton to you guys for helping. And Ben and Elise for coming and being so helpful.

In Alaska there are two obstacles to overcome for us. First, so many guys use their planes to make money hauling hunters and fisherman etc. Can't do much about that except hope the pilots who use their planes for personal use will consider Bob's designs. The other problem is the Alaska pilots single minded loyalty to the PA12's, 14's, and 18's. Most don't know anything else and are not interested in trying anything else.

I like Elise's comment to one pilot who was out by Ben's Patrol at the end of the show. He said that he would consider a Patrol but he just bought a PA18. He liked the performance numbers etc. compared to his Super Cub. Elise, much quicker thinker than me, said: "There are always buyers for PA18's. You could sell it any time and get started on a Patrol".

The weather was beautiful and the turnout was large. Pilots everywhere seem to be more and more aware of what a BH and Patrol are. Mark
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

This was my first visit to the trade show and the first time venturing south of the Alaska Range. Thanks to Mark, Paul and Dan for doing the legwork and making us feel so welcome. Elise and I truly had a wonderful time meeting and visiting with folks.

The flight home was scenic but uneventful. Here are a couple of photos of 406AK on the sandbar I camped on coming down and of the Alaska Range returning, as well as the Yukon river ice breaking up here in Galena.

Comment

hmm. No photos showing. let me troubleshoot...

Comment

I had some airline miles to burn, and I couldn't think of a better way to use them. Was great Meeting Ben (give me a holler if you ever need a place to crash in Fairbanks, tiedowns in the back yard) and seeing everyone else again.

I hear you Mark, Cubs have a cult following in Alaska. The reason my user name on supercub.org is "AntiCub" is because I got sick of being asked, even by non-pilots, why I didn't fly one. When I explained that it wasn't the type of flying I wanted to do I got labeled as being anti-cub. Regarding the Patrol, most people just can't believe it can go so fast, and still take-off and land like a Cub. So I usually start by saying, it weighs the same as a Cub (or less in most cases), has the same wing area as a Cub, has a thicker airfoil than a Cub, has flaps twice as big as a Cub's, has the same or larger engine than a Cub, why wouldn't it take off and land like a Cub? Then point out that the speed is simply from cleaning up the drag. One wing strut instead of 2 plus jury struts, no bulky bungies hanging out in the breeze, no cables or control horns outside the wings etc.

Despite my plans to take lots of pictures, I was so busy talking with people and collecting info from the various manufacturers that I only took a few. I have decided that I want to put a Dynon Skyview panel, lithium battery and Catto prop on my Patrol. And I'll be closely watching the Oratex covering to see how it holds up. Below are a couple of the pictures I did take.
          This gallery has 3 photos.
          Last edited by Phil; 05-08-2014, 08:01 PM.
          Phil Schaefer
          Patrol #073
          Working on Spars

Comment

Good times, nice meeting a few of you.

Comment

Ok Zzz...where are you from in Ak???? I didn't mean to leave you out!

Comment

Zzz came a bit further than I did.
                Phil Schaefer
                Patrol #073
                Working on Spars

Comment

Originally posted by alaskabearhawk View Post
                  Ok Zzz...where are you from in Ak???? I didn't mean to leave you out!

Portland, Oregon I flew a Top Cub up from Yakima with the sales manager of CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                    I hear you Mark, Cubs have a cult following in Alaska. The reason my user name on supercub.org is "AntiCub" is because I got sick of being asked, even by non-pilots, why I didn't fly one. When I explained that it wasn't the type of flying I wanted to do I got labeled as being anti-cub. Regarding the Patrol, most people just can't believe it can go so fast, and still take-off and land like a Cub. So I usually start by saying, it weighs the same as a Cub (or less in most cases), has the same wing area as a Cub, has a thicker airfoil than a Cub, has flaps twice as big as a Cub's, has the same or larger engine than a Cub, why wouldn't it take off and land like a Cub? Then point out that the speed is simply from cleaning up the drag. One wing strut instead of 2 plus jury struts, no bulky bungies hanging out in the breeze, no cables or control horns outside the wings etc.
                    Hi Phil,
                    I've been doing a lot of research on the airfoil for the Patrol lately. Basically I'm trying to lay out the Patrol airfoil in AutoCAD in order to make the rib forms on the CNC as well as cut out the ribs themselves. Interesting information can be found about the Harry Riblett Airfoils, which Bob Barrows used a modified version of for the Patrol (Ribblet GA 30-413.5). I'm not an airfoil designer/expert nor an aeronautical engineer, but I play those parts in my dreams. That being said, I think the one major item you can point to as why the Patrol is better performing than the Cub is the Ribbett Airfoil design on the Patrol over the Clark Y on the CUB.

I've recently purchased and have read Harry Riblett's Book "GA Airfoils - A catalogue of airfoils for general aviation use."
                    It's actually a very educational read and has a tremendous amount of information pertaining to the various airfoils that have been used over the years based on NACA and NASA research, and their short comings. I recommend this book to anyone building homebuilt airplanes.

Harry Riblett redesigned the better airfoils from those series into what is now known as Riblett GA Airfoils. Many coffee breaks and naps in between chapters. Zzz…would love it. There is a small reference to the 4212 airfoil that is used on the Bearhawk 4-Place as well as the Clark Y. There is also in the book a numerical catalogue of the 98 various GA airfoils listed in station, camber, and ordinates to plot out the airfoils. Harry Riblett left to anyone who wants to read it, everything needed to create the GA airfoils for any wing cord size by simple mathematical equations. Amazing stuff!

Last edited by Jflyer; 06-24-2014, 12:24 PM.
                    John, Naples FL
                    Bearhawk 4-Place Plans #1316
                    Patrol Plans #006
                    Experience is something you get, right after you need it.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                      Mark Goldberg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think you are correct John about the airfoil. But also the fact that the aluminum skinned wing is much more efficient than a fabric covered wing. Mark

Mark I agree. The aluminum skin holds the correct and true airfoil better than the fabric covered wing. Another item that was pointed out in Harry Riblett's book. I just watched a video of Bob Barrows talking with EAA about the Bearhawk LSA where he mentioned talking with Harry Riblett for the airfoil design of the horizontal stab. Interesting stuff.
                    Last edited by Jflyer; 06-25-2014, 12:35 PM.
                    John, Naples FL
                    Bearhawk 4-Place Plans #1316
                    Patrol Plans #006
                    Experience is something you get, right after you need it.

Comment

Working...
                    X