Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Johnson Creek, June 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson Creek, June 10

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

A Bearhawk in it’s home environment, beautiful
    N678C
    https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Nice! Could you tell us about your cowl flap arrangement?
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

I'm more interested in how many hours per week you spend polishing those wings!

Comment

Nev, the cowl flaps are an after market product sold by https://antisplataero.com/products that deals mostly in the Vans RV world. They are electrically operated and when both are opened provide about 27 square inches of additional heat extraction. They are either fully opened or fully closed, no in between. There’s a toggle switch and indicator light associated with them. In flight closed, they increase the airspeed by approximately one knot. Opened they reduce CHTs between 2 and 5 degrees, depending on OATs.

Mark, I have to say I polished them three years ago in the build and haven’t touched them since. At condition inspection time, I’ll probably use some Mother’s Mag and Aluminum Polish and a non-orbital buffer to touch them up. The plane is hangared most of the time when not in use.

Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry, I was on the Aerosplat website just yesterday, so good timing. I really like the Aerosplat concept, and having a simple Open/Closed switch. It'd work well on the oil cooler butterfly valve too.

Is that an air scoop on the top cowl - and if it is, I was curious if you found it helped with cooling ? I couldn't tell from the photo where it sat in relation to the high/low pressure compartment.
            Last edited by Nev; 06-12-2022, 02:48 PM.
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• TrueAirSpeed
              TrueAirSpeed commented
              Editing a comment
              Nev, the scoop is a Vetterman product that directs cool air to a 4 inch NACA duct that in turn is connected to 4 inch scat tubing that goes to a 17 row oil cooler, placed near the center of the firewall. So far this year my highest oil temp has been 184 degrees F.

Terry
              Last edited by TrueAirSpeed; 06-12-2022, 08:49 PM. Reason: Signature

I’m surprised the cowl flaps do so little. Mine are very similar and cool my CHTs by approximately 20F.
            Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• TrueAirSpeed
              TrueAirSpeed commented
              Editing a comment
              Whee, that’s good to hear. The above figures are my best estimate from yesterday’s flight.
          Working...
          X