Loctite 565 melting issues.

Allen B

Well-known member
Has anyone had an issue with 565 melting once it setup? I used it on the nipple connecting the fuel selector and gascolator (and other places). I noticed today it was soft and melting. I’m sure at night as the temps drop it’ll cool but is this normal or did I get a bad batch?

Thanks
Allen
 
I don't know if it "sets up" per-se, I recall you could wipe off the excess for some time after installing, but it should seal up really nicely and be totally fuel-proof.

Any chance it could be interacting with another chemical?

Edit to add - it is anaerobic, so it only forms a plastic seal once it's contained between parts in a narrow space without any access to air. So if you expose it to air by opening up the parts - or if it makes it's way out and it's relatively new, it may soften again?
 
I don't know if it "sets up" per-se, I recall you could wipe off the excess for some time after installing, but it should seal up really nicely and be totally fuel-proof.

Any chance it could be interacting with another chemical?
Not likely but I suppose anything is possible. I took the hardware out of the Aircraft Spruce bag and installed all new parts. I will say it’s been 100+ for a couple months here in Idaho and my garage (where the plane is) is probably just a few degrees cooler than the outside temps. When I go back in the garage early in am it hardens again. Maybe this is just the normal life cycle of the sealant?
 
Do you have a picture? The area that matters resides in the tiny space between the male and female threads. If I am installing parts and any oozes out to form a bead outside of the threads, I wipe it away. As I understand it, the stuff in the small gaps does its job based on it being in a small anerobic space, and anything outside of that area is not going to help seal and also likely not sure to stay in place.
 
Do you have a picture? The area that matters resides in the tiny space between the male and female threads. If I am installing parts and any oozes out to form a bead outside of the threads, I wipe it away. As I understand it, the stuff in the small gaps does its job based on it being in a small anerobic space, and anything outside of that area is not going to help seal and also likely not sure to stay in place.
It’s a little hard to see. The only photo I have with me. That’s after I wiped away what I could.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0055.png
    IMG_0055.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
It’s a little hard to see. The only photo I have with me. That’s after I wiped away what I could.
It’s soft to the touch and is in its liquid state when you touch it in the afternoons. It’s very possible that, being a newbie, I added a gallon of 2 too much and it’s just coming out naturally.
 
It always seems to stay soft in air until it eventually dehydrates and denatures after 10 years, but even then it's gelatinous.
Just keep wiping it away. The area that matters is in the threads, and you know it'll be good - it's Loctite brand - it's practically guaranteed to work.
 
If you wipe it off is more of it coming out of the joint? Or is it that previously unwiped product is dripping off? This product is what we would use on engine parts so if it is coming out of the joint at 100 F that is a problem.
 
Let me keep wiping at it and I’ll report back. I hate to say for certain. I know I’ve wiped it a few times. It is genuine loctite brand.
 
Back
Top