Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the worst part about scratch building a BH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the worst part about scratch building a BH

Welding on all those damn tabs. I am so sick of welding on tabs and I'm not done yet😤
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

How many? I do not think my drawings show tabs. Are the tabs you are talking about used to hold stringer off fuselage?

I am still trying to finish wing spar and do not know much about the fuselage.
    stan
    p284 austin tx
    Stan
    Austin Tx

Comment

I'd guess 100. They aren't in the plans. They are for attaching the windshield, floorboards, firewall, rear bulkhead, and the aluminum door sills.

Comment

The wings, they go on, and on, and.........
        😊

finally finished my control surfaces today. A little primer and I'm through with wings !!!
        David Edgemon RV-9A N42DE flying RV-8 N48DE flying Patrol #232 N553DE in progress ! Plans built.

Comment

Yeah, I can't imagine building wings. I was planning on buying QB wings but the project I bought came with wings. All that pounding ribs, drilling, dimpling, and riveting skins...yeah, way worse that welding tabs.

Comment

Wings blow. Scratching wings blows to the power of ten. Id take welding tabs any day.
            Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
            Project Plans #1299
            N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

Let me guess... Reading the QBkit guy's silly questions about how to make all their pre-fabricated parts fit together?? (Joking)

Comment

Originally posted by Battson
                Let me guess... Reading the QBkit guy's silly questions about how to make all their pre-fabricated parts fit together?? (Joking)
                Haha. Nah, that's just entertainment.

Comment

A moment of Zen:
                  "We work not just to produce, but to make our time valuable."

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
                    A moment of Zen:
                    "We work not just to produce, but to make our time valuable."
                    Another way of saying "to get paid"?

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post
                      Another way of saying "to get paid"?
                      Not necessarily- getting paid is what happens when we make our time valuable to someone else. But sometimes we make it valuable to just ourselves. To me, the adage is more about enjoying doing quality work. If we spend an hour watching bad TV, that hour wasn't worth much. If we spend that hour producing quality tabs, then it was worth more.
                      Last edited by jaredyates; 10-05-2015, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Unless you dislike making quality tabs just as much as bad TV...then they have equal value. 😉

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
                          Not necessarily- getting paid is what happens when we make our time valuable to someone else. But sometimes we make it valuable to just ourselves. To me, the adage is more about enjoying doing quality work. If we spend an hour watching bad TV, that hour wasn't worth much. If we spend that hour producing quality tabs, then it was worth more.
                          Interesting. Lets get all deep and meaningful on this mo-fo...

Do you think spending your time on things which you value doing or which add value, is different to how much you value you time at?

For instance, say at work my time is worth $5 per hour, should I consider the opportunity cost of watching bad TV at $5 per hour, or does your own time have a different value (or does it vary based on what you're doing)?

Comment

nah opportunity cost is only what you legitimately lose by not taking the opportunity...
                            if the opportunity doesn't exist your time is worth nothing..
                            if you can earn $100 per hour in your occupation or business, and you choose to build a plane instead, thats not a business decision (it may still be legitimate for other reasons of course..)

opportunity cost has little to do with value.....

Comment

I could run a detailed cost-benefit analysis every time I make a decision, but I think this speaks pretty well to what happens in reality:

Originally posted by Jack London, from The Cruise of the Snark, 1911
                              The ultimate word is I Like. It lies beneath philosophy, and is twined about the heart of life. When philosophy has maundered ponderously for a month, telling the individual what he must do, the individual says, in an instant, “I Like,” and does something else, and philosophy goes glimmering.
                              Mark
                              Scratch building Patrol #275
                              Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
                              X