Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Control cable tensions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control cable tensions.

I haven't found any information on tensioning the control cables. Are there any figures for this?

I used 30 pounds for the aileron and elevator, but I can't remember the source. The elevator trim is much higher.

Comment

I like a little less for the ailerons than the elevator. If the aileron cables are too tight you get stiff ailerons rather than the light ones most people like. Mark

Comment

• BAnton
        BAnton commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have any figures for a cable tension gauge?

I think 28-30 is the spec for 1/8" cable. On my BH I have used 24-25 on the ailerons to get lighter feel. Mark

Comment

• BAnton
        BAnton commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Mark

So the recommendation would be 30lb for the elevator and 25lb for the ailerons? doesn't it depend on temperature? How about the trim cables for the new tension system on the Bravo? I did find a generic chart on the interweb but can't find it again. Anyone have any pointers?

Also, is there any need/advantage to do a double swage on the control cables - bearing in mind your life might depend on it - not that I'm loading the question at all.....

Comment

I do not think temperature affects cable tension much. I seem to recall that the FAA approved spec for 1/8" control cable is 26-28. But the ailerons will benefit from being on the lower end of what is spec'ed.

There is no "new" tension system for the trim on the Model B. It is the same as it always has been. Trim cables need to be tight.

Three swages on a nico press sleeve DONE TO SPEC is all that is needed. I once tested some cables to failure with both double sleeves and just one sleeve. The difference in the force to break them was less than 5% if I remember. It was 25 years ago. For a FlyBaby that has 1/8" cables to hold the wings on. Mark

Comment

Sorry, I should have said "trim friction" which has been re-designed.

It it was not so much the strength of the joint that I was thinking about but rather having a backup swage. But, as you say, if it is done correctly there is no reason for it to fail. On the other hand, the extra effort and weight is minimal......

Comment

Working...
          X