Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engines

I'm thinking about going for the 360. Do most builders buy the engine first then start building? I'm completely new to this and right now just planning all I can. Where is a good place to start looking for good engines?

Thanks​

I made that mistake. If I had to do it again, I'd wait until later in the build. If you're scratch building, much, much, much later in the build. I've had an engine sitting in my garage for almost ten years now taking up valuable space and nothing to hang it on! You may also have a change of heart at some point during the build and decide you want to use a different engine. Once you have the fuselage tacked together (assuming scratch build), you might consider an engine (or engine core) that you can use to mock up your engine mount and some of the supporting bits around the firewall.

But I wouldn't get in a hurry unless you find yourself a screaming deal on the engine you're absolutely positive you're going to put on your plane.

~Chris
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, gives me some options in my plans

Comment

It depends on your approach to the engine. If you're buying a new engine outright, you can get a factory engine or reman pretty fast. If it's a builder like Bob Barrows, I think he has an 8-11 month lead time. For some things on the build, you need to have the engine hung so that can... hang you up.

If you decide to buy a mid-time or build your own engine, choosing the best candidate is a selective process and you may find the right one earlier than expected.

Personally I really enjoy the engine building experience, it's been a real education. I bought a propstrike IO-540 and have been rebuilding it.

Comment

• Cam Hensley
          Cam Hensley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the reply, did you have any experience with working on them before buying the 540?

Originally posted by cam-hensley View Post
        Thanks for the reply, did you have any experience with working on them before buying the 540?
        Just a little from prior Cessna ownership, and years of working on motorcycle engines. I do have an advisor IA who is very experienced with field overhauls in a certified repair station. I would not have attempted it without him.

Comment

I basically agree with Z and Chris. I personally want the freshest engine possible so buying an engine at the beginning of a project and pickling it till the project is ready is of little interest to me. Also, engine work has been my favorite part of the build but that is no surprise to me. Airplane engines are dead simple, the overhaul manuals are a million times better that the "Haynes" manuals I've used on many ground bound engines before, but a single mistake could cost you and/or your passengers you lives.

If I were buying an O360 or O540 and using a factory mount I'd schedule the arrival of the engine to be right around the time I was ready to cover the airframe. That is where I am right now and am wishing my engine was ready.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Cam Hensley
            Cam Hensley commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the insight! This does make me feel better, I'd rather hit all the bumps while in planning rather than neck deep in parts. Still alot more planning to go before the first schedule of tubing is ordered.

The worst thing for these aero engines is not being run, unless they are professionally pickled. I would not want the engine sitting around for years, slowing rusting from the inside out, while I build.
          I bought the engine from Bob about 9 months before I needed it.

Comment

I am interested in learning more about a logical, prudent, efficient flow of events. I hear you....you say "Wait" to install the engine. And that makes all the sense in the world.

Can you be more specific "When" you think the right time is? Lets say, the wings are completed, including paint, with the hinges installed, control surfaces covered, Spars and struts are drilled. Ulphostery is finished, Boot cowl is completed. I never thought about covering the fuselage before installing the engine. Is that just Whee, or is that pretty common?...I really don't know, and am not trying to incite judgment on Whee, just trying to gain information. Would you install the avionics before the engine?

Last year I laid out a flow chart for myself and I had a lot of stuff to do after the engine was installed. This thread is prompting me to change the flow chart plan.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Everyone's method will be as unique as their plane is, and I don't think any one approach is vastly more efficient than the rest - or else we would all be following the same process.

Me? I left the engine to dead last.
              I you can have the whole aircraft finished aft of the firewall, apart from some instruments and some controls, before you start working firewall forward.
              I built the whole airframe, then installed the avionics and engine as the very last step.
              Just one way of doing it.

Comment

Like Battson said, everyone has different methods. And don't worry about inciting judgment on me, my skin is reasonably thick and I know when to step out...usually.

My reasoning: The Gantt I put together to organize my build shows that the fuselage covering will take about the same amount of time as I'd like to nerd over how I'll organize my FWF. I think it will be easier to move the fuselage around during the covering process without the engine hung, though I will not be using a rotisserie. Also, because of all the wires hooked to my engine I'd like to have my engine hung before I start routing wires which means my panel layout needs to be done and probably most of the instruments/avionics installed.
                Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I agree that the engine shouldn't sit around for years. I had the boot cowl fitted and made the cowl/nosebowl assembly before covering. The engine has to be on the plane, to build a cowl. You might be able to mock up the spinner, but stuff like exhaust system, air box and control routing can't be mocked up. At least not by me. I removed the engine, because I covered the fuse on a rotisserie. After covering and paint, the engine went on for the final install. After the engine and controls were in place, I began avionics installation. After avionics and wiring, I hung the wings, installed the windshield and last, the propellor.
                  Not the only way to do it, just made sense to me. Like I've said before; I tried to install all the "non-variable" items first. Control cables, wires and hoses are flexible and "variable". Seats, exhaust systems and carburetors are "non-variable". Most important: Have fun!

Bill

Comment

• Sebastian
                    Sebastian commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Amen to having the exhaust on before making the cowling or you wind up like me and not have enough clearance.

• Cam Hensley
                    Cam Hensley commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting take on the variable, non variable.. appreciate the input. Helps me gather a build order I am fine with (in my head) before I start laying out the project
                Working...
                X