Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bending Brake in The GTA and looking to borrow rib forms for a month to make copies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bending Brake in The GTA and looking to borrow rib forms for a month to make copies

Hi guys

I`m a new builder in the Toronto area. Does anyone know if the RAA up here has a bending brake, I was going to join anyways but was wondering.

or if anyone has a bending brake near me and doesn't mind a visitor every so often. OR maybe someone has a good lead on a business that can do it in my area

Is aircraft spruce in Canada the best place to buy metal sheets?

If there are builders out there with their rib formers just sitting on a shelf. Id love to borrow them for a month and make copies my cost and include a deposit if that helps ...

glad to be here, cant wait to bang some metal together...

Michael in Toronto

Let me know if you find one, I'm planning on building one if I can't find access to a good 10' brake.
    You're welcome to borrow my rib blanks, or bring your own materials and we can cut yours out for you on the router table. I'm assuming its for the B model wing

Comment

A Drive to Aircraft Spruce in Brantfor, Ontario with a van to for your aluminum purchase will save significant shipping cost, and I believe will have very competitive prices on the materials.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Yup that's what I did. Drove the truck to Brantford and picked up the order. It can be safely rolled and makes it easy to transport

Comment

When I did my wings, I had the spars bent on a press brake. It is way more accurate than a leaf brake. You should be able to find a shop that has a 8 ft. or longer press brake in the Toronto area.

All the other bending I did was with a 4 foot box and pan brake. It is a low cost import but works fine for aluminum wing material.

Comment

I am in Kitchener but building a Patrol so I do not think my forms will work. Most 10ft. brakes are the vertical type that bend up to 90*. To bend more than 90*, as on the Patrols flap spare, the shop must change the die on the brake. You can expect this to be an additional cost. We are fortunate to have Spruce so close and the prices are in line. Nice to have another builder close to here. If I can help in any way give me a call. Ed
            Patrol (modified)

Comment

Originally posted by S Lathrop View Post
              When I did my wings, I had the spars bent on a press brake. It is way more accurate than a leaf brake. You should be able to find a shop that has a 8 ft. or longer press brake in the Toronto area.

All the other bending I did was with a 4 foot box and pan brake. It is a low cost import but works fine for aluminum wing material.
              if I was to buy a brake do I need a box and pan brake or will any brake do the job for all the small stuff

Comment

Originally posted by way_up_north View Post

if I was to buy a brake do I need a box and pan brake or will any brake do the job for all the small stuff
                I think a box and pan will be most useful..

My box and pan is limiter to .050 MS. I made a small bending tool (press brake) to use in a hydraulic press. I used this tool to bent the brackets for the wing steel pieces and other brackets on the fuselage. I used this small press bender instead of a vise and hammer.

Comment

We talked to a local heat HVAC shop. The owner allowed us to use his brake after hours. He stayed late to work on invoicing etc so it worked out. Later on the local aircraft maintenance shop offered us the use of their brakes and shears that is a god send. We sometimes bring

As far as materials go I put together a quote for all the aluminum for the project & went out to vendors. We had a fellow builder add his requirements so we had an impressive order. I live in NW Ontario and went for quotes with WIcks, Aircraft Spruce and metal suppliers. We got a 10% discount for the volume on the list prices. I then called the vendor's manager and asked if I sent a cheque if I could get a discount in lieu of using the credit card. They gave us another 5%. I put together a list for quotes for all the steel for the fuselage, gear, doors and all the other steel parts. I was able to get 10% for volume and 10% for cash. These were significant savings. There were 2 large material shipments and it saves getting nickel and dimed to death on shipping with ordering a few pc.s at a time. I forwarded the other builders aluminum 2 provinces over for $130 and we saved a lot piggy backing his materials with our order. We came up one sheet short on the aluminum & had to order one for the engine cowl. Being in Toronto there must be a cornucopia of metal suppliers that you could ask for prices. We are 2 days away from the GTA and 4 hours either side to a city. If you could partner with another builder even if it is a different model for purchasing materials it may pay off. It is all aluminum or steel irregardless of which BH model. The Winnipeg RAA has a equipped construction hangar at Lyncrest that is available to their members. That whole Lyncrest airport is one that we really like and envy the opportunities and community that they have created for themselves there. Check your private messages.
                  Glenn

Comment

So there is a happy ending here to this thread, I joined the Toronto RAA chapter at the Brampton Airport. They have a complete machine shop there with an 8 foot bending brake. The brake appears to have an 1/8 radius already milled into the edge. They have a mill and an engine lathe. Large drill press and multiple other large tools. all tools can be dangerous but....The mill and the lathe are very dangerous tools if you dont know what your doing. So I wont touch those until I get trained by another member.

Nice attached club house with a large aircraft related library

Even have a pop fridge on site

Nearly everything one would need to build a plane, just bring your drill bits and rivets and your good to go.

All this is available to use $75 membership.

Comment

Wow, what a great resource! When I was driving through the countryside south of there, the numerous small areas of aviation activity made me smile )

Comment

Hi Michael in Toronto. Phone me sometime. I'm in the kitchener waterloo area. Gary wallace. 519 223 0368

Comment

Originally posted by way_up_north View Post
                          So there is a happy ending here to this thread, I joined the Toronto RAA chapter at the Brampton Airport. They have a complete machine shop there with an 8 foot bending brake. The brake appears to have an 1/8 radius already milled into the edge. They have a mill and an engine lathe. Large drill press and multiple other large tools. all tools can be dangerous but....The mill and the lathe are very dangerous tools if you dont know what your doing. So I wont touch those until I get trained by another member.

Nice attached club house with a large aircraft related library

Even have a pop fridge on site

Nearly everything one would need to build a plane, just bring your drill bits and rivets and your good to go.

All this is available to use $75 membership.
                          That's incredible. I wish there was something like that in my area. We have a full aircraft restoration shop right here in town to support a world class museum, but they won't even let the volunteers touch the tools for personal projects. WTF! Needless to say I don't hang out there much anymore.
                          Enjoy your shop, especially the people you will meet there!
                          Mark
                          Scratch building Patrol #275
                          Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
                          X