Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8477-2 vs 7666 prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8477-2 vs 7666 prop

I'm having a tough time finding a hc-c2yk-1bf /8477-2 propeller.. Any thoughts on settling on a hc-c2yk-1bf /f7666? Thoughts would be appreciated. Gary

Gary, I'm running the f7666a blades on 185 horsepower, which are a little shorter than the 80 inch that most folks use. I purchased the prop from a Husky owner who upgraded. At the time my research led me to believe that the 80-inch blade would be a little faster, but not much. See if you can find the old Kitplanes article about Bootstrap Performance Calculations for more detail.

Comment

Jared's post reminded me of a conversation, a few years back. I had a Husky A1 for several years. A good friend went through 4 or 5 Husky's in that period. I was fortunate to fly them all. He upgraded from the 76" to the 80" Hartzell prop, on one. Another had a 2 blade MT. His last was an A1-C with a 3 blade MT prop. Like I said, I flew them all and was very aware of how each performed, compared to my old A1. The slowest of the bunch was the 3 blade MT. It was sexy as heck and was smooth as butter, but performance was nothing to write home about. The others were also good props, but I always felt that mine pulled equally well, on takeoff and was as fast or faster than the longer Hartzell or 2 blade MT. Speaking with an Aviat rep, I told him of my observations about performance of the various propellers. He smiled. He said all of the advertised Husky performance specs are established with the 76" Hartzell. The 80" Hartzell doesn't have the RPM restrictions of the 76". The MT's look good. None of them offer a quantifiable advantage over the 76" Hartzell, though.
      Surprised the heck out of me!
      So, I guess the point of my post is to suggest that I would take advantage of a good deal, on a 76" Hartzell, rather than spend more for an 80", expecting significant performance gains.

Bill

Comment

Thank you both for your comments. They help me out.

Comment

Working...
        X