Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joggles on the ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joggles on the ribs

looking at the plans there are joggles at the top and bottom of the centre rib at the front....but none I see on any of the other ribs that have spars worked into them...so it's only joggles at the front of main rib top/bottom...no joggle at the back of the main rib for the rear spar?....etc...

The joggle at the front end of the center ribs is to accommodate the main spar flange thickness and has been considered optional.

Comment

Would you make that joggle after the rib was finished or during the forming process..... ? and how would you do it since the bend line is about where the joggle is ?
      Would I hand cut a depression in my form block at the front corner ?

Seems like a pair of forming blocks mounted in a big pair of vice grips might work ? Since the offset would be pressed through the bend radius--and that
      zone is all ready work hardened--- what would the shape of the first 1+1/4 of the bend line look like with a radius AND an offset ? Doesn't seem like you
      could do a jog without causing a too-tight bend radius there somewhere.....

Has anyone done it to show us what it looks like ? and share a picture ?
      Last edited by fairchild; 12-09-2018, 02:27 AM.

Comment

I believe some have incorporated it into the form block and others have improvised tools. Probably the most common tool is a simple slotted piece of steel that is used to bend it in. I don't have any pictures but I'm sure some searching will prove fruitful.

Comment

Try giving this a watch...thou I think I’m just going to adjust the height of the form block

after watching this you’ll be the joggle king

Comment

That tool looks sweet for flat joggles but maybe not for a curved or compound curved material. Since the joggle is only .032 you couldn't build it like that.
            Might be able to take some 1/4 or 5/16 steel blocks and weld them together on one end (maybe with some stiffeners) and adjust the center offset to .032- or .040 .
            The 2 plates might have to be bent to follow the curves of the material. or maybe even just ground. I will be trying that in the next couple of weeks-- so if I get something
            that works easy I will post a pic of it.

Tim

Comment

Since the joggles are considered optional and only .032 at most, what are the potential downsides of not forming them? Would it be a slight cosmetic issue or actually impact the flight characteristics?
              Todd Weld
              Plans #1515B
              www.facebook.com/N729TW/

Comment

Purely cosmetic, and barely noticeable.
                Christopher Owens
                Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Working...
                X