Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rod end bearings rivets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used my hydraulic press to set 3/16 steel rivets. That should work if you can get the parts in there. I have a steel block with a .401 hole drilled into it to hold a set.
    For some reason I have never liked the idea of locktite. maybe ok on a fishing rod..... :-)
    Tim

Comment

Red loctite, -5 rivets and a shiney hammer. All is perfect. Thanks all for the input

Comment

I am going to suggest a way better product to use than Loctite. Loctite is not intended to be a permanent adhesive. I assemble structures where I am attaching aluminum panels to a steel tube structure. I intend that the aluminum panels become a part to the steel structure. Rivets are alone are not nearly strong enough to effectively bond the aluminum panels to the steel structures. Standard practice in my industry is to use a structural adhesive on the mating surfaces. This more than doubles the strength of the rivets alone. We actually test the assemblies for torsional strength and when the bonding brakes down, we have lost up to half the strength and not a single rivet has failed.

Loctite 9460 Hysol is a structural adhesive and this is what I have used for decades with great results. Given the surface area between the rod end and the tube you are fitting in into, the Hysol will be strong enough to almost not need the rivets.

Comment

My take is that originally the rivets or bolts are the only mechanical means to secure rod ends into hinges. The loctite is only a means to simplify alignment and ease of securing mechanically the rod ends into hinges.

Comment

I just did my second set of these. As stated I use a red loctite to set the rod-ends into position and get evey thing lined up. After the red loctite has set (it sets very quickly but I leave it over night) I cross drill the rod-end/hinge socket assembly and I rivet the rod ends into place. I would never just use the loctite to hold the rod-ends, that's an accident waiting to happen. AN470--5's get it done. I riveted mine this way: I got a piece of 1"x 2" steel bar thats about 3 inches long and on the center of the short end I drilled a hole for my 470 rivet set (squeezer die) then I set that vertically on a 1/2 6"x 6" plate. Then with the spousal unit holding the hinge assembly with the rivet head in the set, I back riveted the bucktail with a 3x gun. Took all of about 5 minutes to do all 5 hinge assemblies.

Hope this makes sense, no need to make more out of it that necessary.
            Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
            Project Plans #1299
            N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

Working...
            X