Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rod end bearings rivets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod end bearings rivets

Should i have any concerns forming shop heads on the aileron and flap rod end bearings where they rivet into hinge tubes since the rod end bearings i have are hollow at the ends ? Thanks

Normal AN470AD-5 rivets used. Mark

Comment

Thanks mark..
      just wasn't sure if the hollow center would cause it to collapse in center before shop head was formed

Comment

If your squeezer is square on the rivet it should not be a problem making a good shop head, also it needs to be the exact diameter rivet called out in the plans.

Comment

Can a 3000# squeezer do a AD5 rivet? I recall mine says it's only good for AD4 and smaller.
          Dave B.
          Plane Grips Co.
          www.planegrips.com

Comment

Originally posted by Archer39J View Post
            Can a 3000# squeezer do a AD5 rivet? I recall mine says it's only good for AD4 and smaller.
            There is one easy way to find out... If it turns out not to, I once used a polished ball peen hammer to form the shop head on some 3/16 rivets. I drilled a 3/16 hole in the anvil of the vice, put the squeezer set in that hole, and a few wacks later all was good.

Comment

My squeezer would not do them. I think Eric addresses this in his manual. The lock tight is what hold the ends in place anyways.
              Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Yeah I figured I'd just be hitting it with a hammer when the time came per Newton's manual.
                Dave B.
                Plane Grips Co.
                www.planegrips.com

Comment

Anyone know off hand if red loctite will do? And a couple rivets!

Comment

You can also use an AN3 clevis or regular bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Wallace View Post
                      Anyone know off hand if red loctite will do? And a couple rivets!
                      It's only a few dollars to invest in the right stuff, and then you know.

Comment

Is red locktite not the right stuff? I don’t have Eric’s manual here but I’m pretty sure we used red locktite based on info from Eric’s manual.
                        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

That’s the way I remember it, too.

Comment

Desert Bearhawk (if you’re a Facebook follower) just said the same thing. He uses red loctite, aligns everything, lets it cure to hold everything in place, then drills them. Handy tip, methinks.
                            Christopher Owens
                            Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                            Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                            Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Just used red loctite. Sitting overnight. Thanks all

Comment

Working...
                              X