Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flap and aileron hinge pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flap and aileron hinge pins

What are people using for hinge pins for flaps and ailerons. ANbolts and nylon lock nuts? Drilled AN bolts and castle nuts, or clevis pins (if available in.25inch. Cant seem to find on plans

If subject to rotation l would advise against lock nuts. Castellated (sp?) nuts and correr keys are used on my Cessna. I think clevis pins are a cleaner install.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

Comment

I figured that with nylocks. Im leaning towards clevis pins if acceptable???

Comment

They also make AN "clevis bolts" and castellated nuts just for this application. The nuts are a little lighter than normal castellated nuts. I am not sure about the bolts.

Comment

For questions like this I usually reference AC 43.13-1B. There's a wealth of info there.
          Gerry
          Patrol #30

Comment

I am trying to figure out what to do at two hinges where the brackets to flaps are too close to center to get my an4 bolt slid in with a regular castle nut. I will order two clevis bolts and shear castle nuts for those two locations. I believe they will fit in the clearance. Last resort will be to drill a hole in side of nose rib for nolt head to slide in a bit, and use an4 with regular castle nut as i will for remaining 8 hinges. Always an option. Thanks for the quick responses for a dumb question.

Comment

Are you talking about the bolts that go through the rod end bearings? If so, you can use a regular AN bolt an nyloc nuts. Since the rod end bearings rotate, the bolt never rotates, so it's acceptable to use nylocs. I pointed this out to my DAR and he agreed.
              Bobby Stokes
              4-Place Kit Builder
              Queen Creek, AZ
              http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

That was in the back of my mind. Due to that simple fact. Simplifies a lot. Just wanted to hear it from someone else...like you! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by swpilot3 View Post
                  Are you talking about the bolts that go through the rod end bearings? If so, you can use a regular AN bolt an nyloc nuts. Since the rod end bearings rotate, the bolt never rotates, so it's acceptable to use nylocs. I pointed this out to my DAR and he agreed.
                  Exactly. This is how I did my RV-8.

-------------------
                  Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
                  Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
                  RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Wallace View Post
                    I am trying to figure out what to do at two hinges where the brackets to flaps are too close to center to get my an4 bolt slid in with a regular castle nut. I will order two clevis bolts and shear castle nuts for those two locations. I believe they will fit in the clearance. Last resort will be to drill a hole in side of nose rib for nolt head to slide in a bit, and use an4 with regular castle nut as i will for remaining 8 hinges. Always an option. Thanks for the quick responses for a dumb question.
                    No need to drill hole inside nose rib to install the bolt. it’s tight but there is enough room if using a proper bolt length. I’ve used castle nuts for all my controls, no clearance problem.
                    This is showing the aileron, as a reference.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                    X