Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aileron gap seals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aileron gap seals?

I thought i seen something one time about gap seals for top of wing over aileron top gap. I have sesrched and searched with no luck. Does this rinf a bell with anyone? Thanks.

I haven't seen anyone seal that gap yet, which is not to say it hasn't been done of course.

Comment

Would that have a negative impact on the "frise-ness" of the ailerons?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Christopher Owens
      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• Ray Strickland
        Ray Strickland commented
        Editing a comment
        You are right, Chris. The Bearhawk type of ailerons are designed to enhance low speed roll control (energized flow through the gap) and to minimize adverse yaw (deflected nose protruding into airflow). Seals are not appropriate.

I haven't found anything for the aileron gaps but the gentleman whose 4place was sitting in the Bearhawk booth at Osh had gap seals for the elevator. He told me what plane they fit but for the life of me I can't remember.

Comment

Sounds good to me. I just thought i seen a post about aileron gap seals a while back. Guess not. Thanks

Comment

I do not have aileron gap seals in my plane but I have installed aircraft spruce part no Part # 05-04616 elevator gap seals. You will want three as I installed a seal on the rudder also. I like them. They seem to have reduced my tendency to over control my pitch at slow speed. The landing flare is easier. Not sure if this is the result of a change in air movement or just additional friction. You do not feel additional friction in flight but on the ground during pre flight I can feel the friction. I have perhaps 10 hrs with them now and I plan to leave them in.

Comment

• way_up_north
            way_up_north commented
            Editing a comment
            You guys probably know all about this...I've seen some guys online use 3m medical tape.. On the tube type tail parts..to do gap seals...the kind that holds your IV in when your in the hospital bed....not a thing you could use on an aileron like the Bearhawk thou
            Last edited by way_up_north; 01-13-2019, 02:23 PM.

Thank you. I will consider them for sure

Comment

Working...
          X