Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 place model b wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 place model b wings

Are the wings for the model b the same as a patrol? There is a patrol being built not far from me and I wondered if we could mass produce per say some parts.

Originally posted by Mikeos98 View Post
    Are the wings for the model b the same as a patrol? There is a patrol being built not far from me and I wondered if we could mass produce per say some parts.
    1st of all...welcome to the board.....

I cant answer your question, but I wanted to make a comment on using other peoples form blocks...if thats what you are doing

I`ve worked on an RV-7 and a Sonex...in both cases the factory made the ribs for me...so I didnt give it any thought.,..

your friend probably did a great job making his form blocks and jigs....

but every form block made with human hands in scratch building will be flawed in some way...most flaws are minor and so tiny its nothing to worry about.....but

an easy way to check the most important part(the wing shape)...take the form block and put it on top of your mylar template....if it matches nicely then you are good to go....if you see flat spots or a curve that does not exactly match...then make your own form blocks...checking is cheap insurance...cause once you are past that stage all errors from that block are now transferred to your project....

I would double check all form block dimensions...ect...its also a great way to get to know the plane better....

Maybe your buddy is a perfectionist...and its all done to spot on.....

Ive re-made some of my form blocks 3 times....
    Last edited by way_up_north; 02-12-2019, 10:23 AM.

Comment

The ribs are the same. Everything else is different. Mark

Comment

I am a CNC machinist and was going to CNC cut some dies basically to make the ribs, But I cant afford to do this for 1 plane. I have access to a number of complex machines that will make this build go faster if I can justify it.

Comment

Mike, I am going to state my opinion here and do not wish to offend you or anyone for that matter. But over the years it has been kind of shown that making up CAD files and doing extensive prep to make the parts for one plane do not make sense. You would be better off doing it the "rustic" way and just get your parts made. The complex machines are nice and certainly do have their place. But you can spend a lot of time setting up etc when you could have already had your parts done in less time.

We do offer the ribs professionally hydroformed for scratch builders. You might do some calculations about how much time it would take you to make dies etc and compare that to just buying your ribs. Of course taking into account also the material cost you would pay for the 2024T3. Mark

Comment

• PFalkner
            PFalkner commented
            Editing a comment
            I can attest to what Mark is saying. I started out as a scratch builder but soon looked at the price of the kit which is well worth it hands down. I went with the tubing kit and welded it completely. Next I got the wing ribs which are a piece of art , absolutely beautiful. I went this way because in my mind I wanted to build the plane as to assembling one. The parts Mark provide are perfect and you will not look back !

Mike--- I am scratch building (low budget I guess) I made my forming dies out of doubled 3/4 MDF. I can make a nose rib in about 45 min and a main rib in about 60 min.
          (forming--- not counting alodyning and priming-and the stiffeners) Once you get the dies made - they go faster than you would think !
          Tim

Comment

I did my ribs on 3/4 MDF forum blocks, I guess one could say the old fashion way. It took 450hrs to complete all ribs.
            Things I would do different the 2nd time around, Buy the full set of aircraft knock out dimpling dies from Mittler Brothers.
            Looking back the place to save the most time is in the dimpling & straighten of the ribs. Cutting blanks & forming/fluting does not take that much time. But those dimpled holes are time consuming & the rib tends to deflect a lot during the process adding more time for straighten the ribs. My 2 cents.
            Last edited by Sir Newton; 02-03-2022, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X