Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for advice on Firewall Forward shopping list - oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice on Firewall Forward shopping list - oil cooler

Well, paint is curing and the fuselage will be going on the gear for the final time soon. Starting to work on shopping list for Bob's O-540 install.

The first question is oil cooler size for warmer southwest climate. I know the design and configuration of the oil cooler and its inlet plenum is part of the black magic of good oil/engine temps. My plan is to copy Mark G's steep/deep plenum to slow the air down and minimize the length of scat tube. My question is - will the Aero Classic 13 Row drawn cup oil cooler be sufficient for the southwest?

Appreciate any and all help!
    Thanks too much,
    John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
    BH Plans #1117
    Avipro wings/Scratch
    http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

Hi John. If that cooler is recommended for 540 installations on other planes it should do fine. I like their oil coolers, and buy them for overseas customers. Mark

Comment

• John Bickham
      John Bickham commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks Mark

I was concerned about having a large enough cooler with a roughly 290HP IO-540. The cold air induction removes the cooling effect of the induction air on the oil. I went with a 17 row cooler made by Airflow Systems. They make both certified and experimental coolers. Mine is the 2008X, they also have a 13 row 2006X and 15 row 2007X. They also have plenums for them that accept 4" SCAT hose.

Comment

Working...
    X