Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolled Sheets for Spar Webs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolled Sheets for Spar Webs

Are you able to use rolled aluminum sheet for the spar webs? It saves over 50% on shipping from Spruce to be able to roll it, but it seems like I read somewhere the material for the spar webs shouldn't come rolled. I can't find now where I read that though. Thanks!
    Todd Weld
    Plans #1515B
    www.facebook.com/N729TW/

Absolutely....roll them up and save the shipping. No difference with end product

Comment

I have a coil of .032 2024 T3 taking up an embarrassing amount of shop floor space because I uncoiled it and could not for the life of me get it coiled back up to the way it shipped. After a year in a 13" coil, the 8' long sheet laid out pretty flat. I think you will be OK. Airparts will coil. Make sure you get plastic coated sheet stock. If no plastic is available, add a shipping note "Break sharp edges and tape sheared ends of sheet stock to prevent scratching during coiling".
      I'm going to cut the inbd wing skins off the coil next, with the reduced width, it should coil much easier. Right now its a PITA.
      Gerry
      Patrol #30

Comment

• JimParker256
        JimParker256 commented
        Editing a comment
        Too funny... I've got a nearly 3-ft diameter "roll" of aluminum that I let get away from me while cutting off a 1-foot wide strip... It came in an 8-inch diameter box, but I'll never get it back in that box...

Thanks, guys! Just wanted to be sure before I ordered. I had a 4' x 12' sheet I unrolled to look at and ended up going ahead and tracing center ribs and cutting them out because I realized it was never going back in the box!
      Todd Weld
      Plans #1515B
      www.facebook.com/N729TW/

Comment

This is good info. I've been trying to scope out potential suppliers for when I start and was wondering how the rolled aluminum turned out. Nearest place to me that carries 2024 is about a 2hr drive which isn't terrible, but delivered to my door would sure be convenient.
        4 Place Bravo
        Currently making form blocks

Comment

Working...
        X