Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Type of Fabric Seam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of Fabric Seam?

Just a quick poll of the group. I am getting ready to cover the fuselage with two pieces of fabric using the Superflite system. I want to avoid the crosswise seam at the vertical stab, so I am planning on having two pieces of fabric and a seam along the top left stringer, terminating at the base of the vertical stab. According to AC 43-13 there are three possible machine-sewn seams that I would want to use: French Fell, Folded Fell and Modified Folded Fell. What seam have people used in the past that also looks good? I won't be doing the sewing, which is a good thing. I know someone that is an experienced seamstress and she will be doing the sewing. Thanks!

I did something similar, I think. Picture in topic "fuse covering" March 2016. It did not require sewing on the fin seam, but I did sew the top seam on the fuse.

Comment

Thanks Jim, but what type of seam did you use? The Patrol has one stringer on top, 4 place has two.

Comment

• Bcone1381
        Bcone1381 commented
        Editing a comment
        That two sided tape sounds like a great idea!!

• svyolo
        svyolo commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't remember what that tape is called, but I have used it before, it is sold for that specific purpose.

• alaskabearhawk
        alaskabearhawk commented
        Editing a comment
        It's cool. I didn't know what it was either. It's called basting tape. Lots of different manufacturers, types and widths.

I was curious what the definition of the types of seams, and thought might also want to understand. I found the illustration below in AC43.13.
      Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 11.40.23 AM.png
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I have used the modified French fell on a couple of restorations using Poly Fiber with success. The two step process makes it a fairly easy seam to make even for an amateur like me. When ironed it lays pretty flat and when taped its still detectable but not in the least offensive. It's also the seam I was tought in A&P school. The French Fell was just too difficult for me when sewing big pieces together.
        Gerry
        Patrol #30

Comment

Thanks for the responses! So Gerry, when you say modified French Fell are you referring to the Folded Fell seam in AC43-13?

Comment

Yes, thats the one. I envy you. I really enjoy covering, it really transforms the project. Also T pins placed about every 6-8" make it much easier to manage the big fabric pieces during the sewing of the first seam. A second set of hands really helps to keep the seam straight when you fold and sew the second seam. Try to keep a little tension perpendicular to the first seam when sewing the second seam to keep the fabric from "pooching" up between the seams. If you get a little pooching, thats OK, it will iron out.
            Cheers
            Gerry
            Patrol #30

Comment

Working...
            X