Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best time to thread lock top of shock struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best time to thread lock top of shock struts

Looking for recommendations...do i fill shock struts with oil and seal rod end bearing now...which may be last time gear goes on...or do i wait, get engine on, and fill later , set distances, and threadlock. My feeling is chances are ill need to change later.. best to move on and deal with oil and threadlock later? Just would be easier to do now, then install....but likely need adjustment later....? Also, recommended loctite or sealant for rod end threads? Thanks again. Gary

I think loctite 565 as Jared mentioned in an earlier post

Comment

• Battson
      Battson commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with that

My experience with the 4-place.....
    Made my first flight in September, 2020. Posted a video on this forum. I had taken the approach that I would confirm the gear dimension at full load during flight testing. I contacted Mark Goldberg regarding another topic and he inquired about my gear leg dimension. He noticed it looked a little close (tucked) on the video. I was at 68-69" at 2000 lbs. Mark recommended that I make an adjustment closer to 70 - 72". I am so grateful for that recommendation. My feet workload went down substantially on landing rollout. It is like night and day. A little bit on rod end can make a big difference in handling on rollout.

When I made the adjustment, I discovered a small leak (weap) on one of the gear legs. I had not applied the recommended blue locktite thinking I would be making a "final" adjustment.

My point is if you don't put the thread sealer on, small leak for me that is easy to clean. Also, if I had to pick a starting point I would lean to the 70" starting point knowing what I know now. Think about how to lift for adjustment post first flight. I removed the top cowl and lifted one side at a time on the engine mount at the firewall. I did have to top off the fluid level in both struts.
    These are 4 place dimensions, not sure applies to your project.
    Fly safe.

Thanks too much,
    John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
    BH Plans #1117
    Avipro wings/Scratch
    http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

Comment

Thank you John. Sounds like ill likely need adjustment after everything is together etc....

Comment

Working...
      X