Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

general question on skinning the wings----

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general question on skinning the wings----

It will be a while before I get there--- but------
    when you get to the point of starting to attach the wing skins---- I assume the rivet holes are all ready in the ribs------ how do you go about matching the holes in the skin to them ?????

I imagine you suck the top skin down tight around the LE using foam and ratchet straps so there is NO slack ----- but then what ? How do you transfer the holes in order to drill the pilot holes in the skin for the dimple tool ...... The skin would be 4 feet wide at that point --- hole finder wont reach----

Can anyone give me rough idea ?

Tim

plans-built, right? drill holes in skin first, use felt tip marker to make centerline mark along top and bottom rib flanges, use straps to hold skins in place in jig, move rib flange span-wise so that line on flange can be seen thru skin holes, match drill flange adding clecos as you go

Comment

Comment

Experimental airplane scratch build Bearhawk 4 place. Installing wing skins. Build Log: https://bearhawk2020.blogspot.com/

all of b-spot videos are good
        Stan
        Austin Tx

Comment

Put the skin on tight using a few ratchet straps to snug it up without deforming anything, I used wood spacers on the bottom/rear spar for the strap to clear the skin. I used a sharpie to mark the spar flange and ribs on the underside of the skin. Take the skin off, mark, drill and clean up the holes (I used a large square off the spar flange sharpie mark to help). Mark the ribs as mentioned before. Put the skin back on and drill the ribs, they will have some movement to them where you can find the line you marked.

Here is my writeup off my blog: http://mswain.com/bearhawk/?p=111
          Last edited by mswain; 08-16-2021, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Man-- that guy on youtube-- his videos are the bOMB ! very detailed and wondaful....
            Looks like it will be a slow and carefull process when I get there-----

Comment

Working...
            X