Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tubing kits from Bearhawk show --unavailable now--- any news or updates ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AED motor sports is in Indianapolis. I've bought a few things (4130 tubing and hard alumium tubing for fuel lines) from them over the years due to location and ability to avoid shipping. They set up a booth at OSH so they deal with Airplanes as well as race cars. I bring this up just as another source to get a quote....or maybe a builder might live near Indy and can avoid teh shipping cost.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Since this conversation started regarding 4130N tubing & I am starting the fuselage Jan 01,2023 Tomorrow. So I pulled out my MTR package for my tubing. The 4130 steel ingots were smelted in Germany & All my tubing was formed by Plymouth Tube Co usa,

Comment

Likely Russian or Chinese pig iron that saw value added in Germany with that alloy formation and final forming in US... pretty much the current global system with iron made in low-cost regions, steel alloy made in mid-cost (commodity) and high cost regions (high tech), and rolling/forming done closer to where it will be used... also why things are so screwed up right now with disruptions to both new and recycled material. US recycles steel like nobody's business, but we don't do the first couple steps of steel making, which means we don't get the byproducts of the air separation unit (lots of trace gases like neon, argon, etc. for tech and mil use) in industrial quantity or have to deal with the whole ore-to-iron pig stuff (labor-intensive; little value added). 4130 will be made from non-recycled, virgin material, so that's likely why a German mill did the alloy for you, versus anything hot rolled, which in the US is likely recycled material from the US and around the world.

Comment

Update on Aircraft Spruce, no free shipping on tubing and the promotional code offered at checkout does not lower the cost per ft.

Comment

Working...
          X