Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Selection

Bearhawkers

I haven't started the fuselage of my kit as yet however I have been offered a LO-360-a1g6d engine and propeller from a Beech Duchess (clockwise rotation) with good times to run and it seems like an ok deal. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this engine in a Bearhawk and if so can you provide me with some information?

I would also really like to hear about what other types/models of 0-360 builders are using and the propeller combinations.

Thanks in advance.

yadama
    http://www.mykitlog.com/yadama

I know this is obvious, but you will have a harder time finding spare parts for a 'backwards' engine, especially in the event of a remote breakdown away from home. Something to consider anyway.

Unless it's a total steal, you might be better with a more common engine like the O-360

Comment

Looking at the parts manual....don't believe the rotation can be changed. Case, crank shaft and cam shaft part numbers are different. If opposite rotation the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer will need to be opposite...3/4" to the right of centerline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Guys

I believe it is the left engine which is the conventional turning one, so i may have my designation wrong. Any ideas on props?

yadama
        http://www.mykitlog.com/yadama

Comment

I fly with one of Bob's O360's and am real happy with it. Prop is Hartzell CS HCC2YK1BF-80, from a Piper Cherokee six, also recommended by Bob. Pulls real hard and woks well.

Comment

I was thinking the right engine was typically the LOxx in most cases. Also most twins have feathering props that change pitch in reverse to the usual non-aerobatic single. So the prop may be of limited use.

Comment

Working...
            X