Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pilot's seating choices - a new consideration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting and useful information, thanks Jono.

I’m a sniff under 6’4. Definitely worth putting the time into getting this right as a good lookout is safety critical.

My B model with the alloy bottomed seat with 1 inch foam in the full aft position, just gives me good vis under the wing (still under build in the shed so the views not a great one) and satisfactory head clearance. I have foam lagged the X members just in case though.

Comment

I'm using the ready-made Noral seat cushions on a seat pan. I have two sets of cushions, size 2in and 4in. Rob Taylor also did this. What's nice is they are very durable and easy to clean. They can also be removed and used like a padded stadium seat while camping.

Noral Seat Cushion With Back (Type A) This seat (cushion) is made of 1000 denier Nylon water repellant fabric and 2 lb. fire resistant foam inside that meets the FAA regulations.

The photo of the seat bottom with the AL strips is from Mark Scott. He made his seats this way to help absorb energy if ever in a crash.

20200621_181952.jpg20200621_181854.jpg009.jpg

Comment

That Norel seat looks like a good way to begin, rather than going down a hole on a custom design which might not work anyway. Couple questions, AK Bearhawk: this is a Patrol, right? how tall are you, and what seat thickness did you go with? Is there one of these which will fit the wider back seat? I really like he idea of getting something in there and leaving it, fine tuning it, or replacing it later as needed. Thanks

Comment

It's a4-place. I'm 5' 11'' and I can go with either cushion. The cushions will just attach with velcro so they swap out very easy. I figure with my butt the 4 inch will eventually compress to 3! The two that are not used can go side by side on the back seat, no problem. And it lets you have space for the center lap belts to go between them. Th e pics are from Rob's 4-place.
          DSC00646.jpgnew seat cusions 1.JPG

Comment

[QUOTE=alaskabearhawk;n62890]I'm using the ready-made Noral seat cushions on a seat pan. I have two sets of cushions, size 2in and 4in. Rob Taylor also did this. What's nice is they are very durable and easy to clean. They can also be removed and used like a padded stadium seat while camping.

Noral Seat Cushion With Back (Type A) This seat (cushion) is made of 1000 denier Nylon water repellant fabric and 2 lb. fire resistant foam inside that meets the FAA regulations.

Thanks for that reference Paul. As little as I will be using the rear seats, this is a much cheaper option for me than having them upholstered. If I had known I probably would have gone that route on the front seats.

Comment

Those seats help set a culture/theme that is characteristic of our aircraft.

"Professional Grade!"
              "Its okay to get dirty." and
              "Now thats so simple that I think I can do it."
              Brooks Cone
              Southeast Michigan
              Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
              X