Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack points on the gear legs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack points on the gear legs?

How do you guys jack your Bearhawk legs when you need to patch a tube or otherwise remove the wheel/tire? Did you make a little cup or jack point that wraps around the inside of the axle where the strut attaches? On my Cessna 170 I used a purpose-built jackpad and bottle jack. The other day I just wanted to jack it up to briefly pull the wheel off but had to scratch my head a little instead.

Another issue is complete removal of the gear legs (going to reform my trailing edge fairings.) Before I had the firewall in place I had two long 2x4s that I bolted through to the engine mount holes.

I guess a hoist and lifting rings would be the ticket.

I use a floor jack with no front wheels making it a narrow profile. I can get it under the shock strut leg attach point of the axle.

For removing the gear legs I use a heavy strap threaded through the engine mount near the firewall and lift with an engine hoist.

Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
    Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC
    Bearhawk Manuals
    Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
    Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
    http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

Sometimes I use an engine crane and life off the engine mount with a strop. You can lift one side of the plane at a time:

Otherwise, I just use a little car jack and a block of wood to cushion it - doesn't even mark the paint - note the stacked wood is only there for backup in case the jack fails.

Comment

I welded up a spreader out of square tube with pads on each end to go under each leg fitting. Use two jacks to lift the whole plane. Before that I used an engine hoist with a strap. If I were scratch building I'd weld on a jack point.

Comment

I'm asking the same question - N942VT, where would you weld on the jack point? Between the struts on the fuselage, or on the bottom of the axle stubs?

James
          The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

Comment

Working...
          X