Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying to Alaska!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comming out of Ft Nelson to Watson Lake we flew a large portion of the Ft Nelson River. We saw lots of large flat sand bars. We are looking for some beginner sand bars to land on. We hear there are some large ones on the Susitna River near Willow. I am on 8.5x6 tires, the 180 is on 8.5x10 tires. Anyone know of some specific locations?

Comment

Only a few, Otherwise the runway is in good shape.

Comment

We did an oil change in Whitehorse Monday. The FBO, Rodan Maintenace, were very helpful. The airport has a nice little transportation museum there. Out front they have a DC-3 on a post. But what makes it really impressive is that it weather vanes in the wind. It is surprisingly sensitive. The flight up to Dawson City was spectacular. Between the scenery and the local rain showers it was quite a site. Tomorrow we head to Fairbanks and Chenna Hot Springs. The plan is to then head to Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage, and the Kenai.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

That is the coolest "windsock" I've ever seen.
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

We made it to Talkeetna. The flight to Fairbanks from Dawson then to Chenna Springs went well, The next day's flight to Fairbanks then Talkeetna went well too. We got lucky with low winds and cloud bases above most of the Alaska Range peaks. The picture below shows me refueling the Bearhawk at Dawson City. The 737 in the background landed on Dawson's 5000 ft gravel strip. Lots of dust with reverse thrust! The plane was modified for gravel strips. Today it looks like we are weathered in at Talkeetna.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Welcome to The area. I live in Anchorage Ak and would love to see your plane. I have just joined the site and acquired a damaged Bearhawk (4 seater). I have it parked at Lake Hood for now until I move it to the garage in the next week or two. Wil Crabtree (907) 331-8551.

Comment

The weather is slowly improving. Our plan is leave Saturday morning, stop at Willow for cheaper gas, on to Lake Hood and meet Will Crabtree, then on to the Kenia. I hope to get in Touch with Paul near Soldotna.

Comment

Here is a view in the Alaska Range on our way from Fairbanks to Talkeetna. A little crooked. I'll have to fix that up later.

Comment

Sorry I missed your call Mark. I was actually in the shop working on my skylight. I returned the call, but you had already turned off the phone. We'll talk soon...would love to meet you!

Comment

Met with Mark and the guys. Had a great visit and I cant wait to really start on my new project. I tried to attached a small motivational video, but I could not get it to work.

Comment

Hope to see Mark and his Bearhawk.....in Platinum..... PM sent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• beanforge
                          beanforge commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Mark, if you don't mind me asking... What's going on in Platinum? I flew in there a few times in the late-90s. Pretty quiet, but one of my favorite destinations. Just a neat little place. Is the mine open now?

This is as good as it gets, all sharing the dream of a lifetime. From left to right: Mark, Pete, Hank and Ken. Thanks for stopping by...it was a true pleasure meeting you guys, snd both planes are exceptional!

Comment

We are in Skagway waiting on the pass north of us to open up. It is slowly improving.

Thanks for posting the picture Paul. We had a great stay and flight around the Kenai.

Comment

A few more...
                            This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Did you ever find any mellow river bars?

Comment

Working...
                              X