Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pat Fagan
    Whee, congrats on finishing the welding. Those tab installations seem to go on forever don't they?
    Thanks Pat. Yes, those tabs are miserable and seem to never end. Now that it's all painted I'm sure we'll find some tabs we missed.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• I told my wife that I'd been 'juggling balls' all week. Being ready to start spraying paint, I had to reserve time in a friend's paint booth. Then, I had to borrow an enclosed trailer to transport pieces, to and from the spray booth. Last, I needed to coordinate a painter. I've done a bit of painting, with mixed results. I'm great with primer, but there's about a 50/50 chance I'd have a couple of runs, with the color coats... Juggle, I did. Other than a single day's delay, the plan worked! There's another color to come, but the process is well under way!
      Now is as good a time as any to express my appreciation for the wonderful friends around me! If any element of my plan fell through, she wouldn't be in paint. It's my sincerest wish that each of you guys be blessed with such a supportive group, to smooth your path.

Bill
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Last edited by Bdflies; 09-25-2016, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• I marked out the lightening-hole positions on my aileron-spar blank. Plans call for 3-1/8 diam hole on a spar that is 3-7/8 wide, theoretically leaving only 3/8 inch of web left above/below each nhole. That seemed marginally narrow for me, so I set my fly-cutter a few thousanths undersize and cut my first lightening hole. I was in too much rush (as usual) and cut my hole about 1/16 off-center. (see photo) There is not a full aluminum skin on the aileron, just the thin nose-skin, so I am worried about by aileron spar being strong enough. I adjusted my fly-cutter again, downsizing it again a few thousanths, and cut some more holes.

Anyone out there think I should start over with a new blank aileron spar?

Bergt lighteningholes.jpg

Comment

• Bdflies
          Bdflies commented
          Editing a comment
          If I read your description correctly, plans call for 3/16" edge margin (3/8" divided by 2) above and below the lightening holes. At the hole that's off center the worst, do you have less than 3/16" margin? If so, I'd make another. If more than 3/16" forge ahead.
          My $0.02

Bill

• Bcone1381
          Bcone1381 commented
          Editing a comment
          That exactly what I was thinking, Bill

• How does one lay out a straight line, from nose to tail? With a (Craigslist $100) rotary laser!
        Now, more masking, prep and painting...

Bill

Comment

• huntaero
          huntaero commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great, works well over all the peaks and valleys, I used the laser level for the stringers also. George

• Journey of a 1000 miles begins ya da ya da... rough cut out my very first patrol parts!

Comment

• Built the (4) pitot tube mounts from 6061 alum streamline tube and flat sheet and of course one for Grandma
          This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• I'm pretty excited about how my Luscombe trim handle is turning out. Think I'm going to really like it.

Comment

• Nice! It does look like it would be friendlier to operate than the hand wheel, particularly with a less sensitive trim setup at the rear end.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcusofcotton View Post
                Nice! It does look like it would be friendlier to operate than the hand wheel, particularly with a less sensitive trim setup at the rear end.
                I used a 6 tooth sprocket instead of a 9 tooth like the BH wheel uses and I installed the PF trim system so I think it will be a bit less sensitive than the factory system.

Comment

• N3UW
                  N3UW commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wee..what is PF trim system?

• Today we put the wings on 240BP. Still a lot to do--flaps/ailerons need to be installed and hooked up, wing tips, lights, fuel lines and all that stuff. But after 3yrs., 7.5 months and two Patrol projects--The Wings are ON one of them with the other soon to follow--WOOHOO D-n-D Patrols-240BP & 241BP

Comment

• huntaero
                  huntaero commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Assembly line, lookin good

• Bdflies
                  Bdflies commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looking great! Love the paint schemes....

• DRLPatrol
                  DRLPatrol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looking great. Looks like about time for another visit. Wish you weren't so far away.

Doug

• Yea, that's a drive for you. But as always your welcome anytime! One of these days we'll fly them up your way! We are waiting on parts for my wing before we put it on. They should be here Friday--scat tube for the air vent and about 60 feet of 20 gage wire. Donna

Comment

• Today we put the wings on mine. ;-) WOW, this is so cool--we are getting closer to done. Any day now we are going to run out of things to do--right??? D.

Comment

• No, you won't run out of things to do. You'll just do different things, like flying and tweaking!
                    Looks great!

Bill

Comment

• Flygirl1
                      Flygirl1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yea,that's so true. But that's when the real fun begins! D.

• Fuselage final paint is done. Back in shop. Avionics arrived, from Sarasota Avionics, last week. Bunch of boxes is pretty cool! Wiring harness is VERY INTIMIDATING! Early today, I laid the harness out on a table and connected the various boxes to the connectors. NO EXTRA CONNECTORS!! Everything figured out. This afternoon, I built a rack to mount the remote Xponder & comm. YeeHaw! I'm installing avionics!

Bill

Comment

• Flygirl1
                      Flygirl1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I took a photo of the beginning of our wiring to the electric store we have been shopping at and the guy says--"don't apply for a job here, I won't hire you". Looks a lot better today, but still what a bunch of spaghetti! So far everything works as it should. Had an issue with the headsets and the mic wiring, but eventually figured it out. We built a drop down tray under the glare shield that will work nice for ease of access. It is hinged and in place with southco's. All the Dynon stuff is on it. Transponder, back up battery, comm, and any other separate boxes. We do understand and appreciate your excitement in getting this part done!!! D.
                      Last edited by Flygirl1; 11-08-2016, 08:57 PM.

• Very cool bill! I'm sure we need some pics and for you to tell us what equipment you went with.

Comment

• Bdflies
                      Bdflies commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Give me a day, or two and I'll post some pics of all the boxes installed. I'll also post an equipment list.

Bill

• Bcone1381
                      Bcone1381 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bill,

Some of us see avionics as complicated...just the choice of the avionics let alone the wiring of them. Could you also share with us sometime the route you chose and recommendations? For example, I liked the Sarasota Avionics Website, and can see the wiring harness being built as cutting thru a lot of the complications.

Brooks
                  Working...
                  X