Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I designed it as a steel weldment. I'd have to redesign it so it could be sandcast.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Today we put on the last major thing to install on the airplane--the Props. WHOO HOO!!! We've chosen the Whirl Wind constant speed 80in composite. They look a little funky, in my opinion, but I guess you can't see em when there spinning, right? Looks like it might be a pain in the a@# torqueing them and getting the safety wire in place, but where there's a will there's a way. Weight and balance is next and then onto starting and taxi testing. Merry Christmas everybody!!

Comment

• Those pesty bearing cages for the ailerons are my first item today. Since all my fuselage weldments are done it's time for the wing steel parts. Christmas day is great for shop time. Lets see what else I get done today.
      Attached Files
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Last edited by Patrol28; 12-29-2016, 08:35 AM. Reason: All done with the bell cranks. 4 hours for the pair.

Comment

• Patrol28
        Patrol28 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry my photo upload is rookie-ish. I haven't gotten better after 20 years of computer guesswork.

• Well santa didn't bring a set of complete wings....so may have to head out to the garage and beat on some metal today.
      Steve Nicholson
      Lafayette, LA

4 Place Scratch build #1377 in progress (Wings)

Comment

• Was looking over my work today while trying to repair the form block that got damaged by the old router and think I am going to start over from scratch on my form blocks. Im not happy with the quality of my work. I used a jigsaw to cut out the form blocks then finished by sanding but it just doesnt seem good enough. If someone was to go into the formblock/router template business for wing ribs I would be your first customer!

So I decided that today I would build a new build table like I have been planning for a while. Finished the first of two 8x4 tables today. What is everyone else using to finish their worktops? I was thinking of something in a matt white so I could scribble notes in pencil while I worked and can be repainted as needed. I used Red Oak Plywood, not sure if perhaps an epoxy would work? My other home built workbenches are all raw unfinished plywood tops.
        Last edited by Deftone; 12-28-2016, 09:46 PM.
        Steve Nicholson
        Lafayette, LA

4 Place Scratch build #1377 in progress (Wings)

Comment

• parish
          parish commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve, I used blondwood birch plywood you find at lowes.

• I drilled more spar spacers today. I have almost progressed to where I expected to be last spring, so I could Alodine and prime outside during warmer weather and be ready to rivet the spars together this winter. I need to speed up if this thing is ever going to fly.

Comment

• 2016 ended on a high note, in the course of my project! My struts were painted this week. Picked them up this morning. When back at my shop, I quickly assessed that there was nothing significant to do, until the wings were hung. So, with the help of hydraulics, I hung the wings! Kind of a mixed blessing, though. Exciting as it is, having the wings on, this means I'm out of my workshop, in the hangar.... Less light, no heat and the stereo isn't as good...

Happy New Year!

Bill
          This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• Bdflies
            Bdflies commented
            Editing a comment
            I've been involved in several 'wing hangings'. Lots of hands usually leads to lots of confusion. The tractor is rock solid and it rarely disagrees or questions my directions. With the main wheels on the dollies, I was able to move the fuselage to meet the wing. Even easier than I imagined! If you look closely at the pic with both wings on, behind the plane are the doors to my workshop! Everything is under one roof. It's so convenient, I'm almost embarrassed.....but not really.

• Bcone1381
            Bcone1381 commented
            Editing a comment
            It looks like you have a great set up Bill! What size tires are installed right now?

Brooks

• Bdflies
            Bdflies commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Brooks. When we bought the property, 13 years ago, this was a hay barn. We thought the floor was dirt. After LOTS OF WORK, it's my little piece of Heaven, with a runway!
            8:50 x 6:00 tires now.

• That's all I did; 3/4 ply for the top and 1/2" for the shelf underneath. I made two at 8'x3'each, in addition to the old beater bench.
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

• Today I felt like I got something accomplished. Been working on the wing tips trying to get them ready for paint but wanted to do a build up for the nav/strobe lights. I also had the idea that it would be nice to have a way to know if the lights were actually working from inside the cockpit. After I did the build up so the light would be stable I installed a 1/4" Plexiglas rod that runs from the light and protrudes thru the bottom of the wing tip. when I get the wing tips back from paint I will cut the rod off flush and epoxy it to the inside to hold it in place. I'm not naïve enough to think I am the only one to come up with this idea since I saw it on a Cessna. I have added some pictures.
            This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• Looks great C J! Making it YOURS...

Bill

Comment

• Ok, the planes are done and today we did the weight calculations. Brand new digital electric scales were used. All inspection covers, nuts, bolts, fairings in place and the numbers are in. We have Oregon Aero seats and full interiors that include insulation. I was going for comfort for long haul trips. Dennis' plane weighs 2 lbs less than mine, which surprises me. I had to add tubing for the addition of spine material to remove the skylite. My plane is lighter on the mains, but heavier ( by 7 lbs.) on the tail for some unknown reason. ( no comments please. ;-) ) This weight includes 8 quarts of oil and me ( Operational empty weight ): 1370lbs. We are working on configuring our Dynon Skyview system and a ground run up after that, than the DAR inspection. Will post the "other" numbers ASAP. ;-) D.

Comment

• Bdflies
                  Bdflies commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I kmow I'm pretty simple minded, but I'm still confused - I think. I was looking for "empty weight" and I don't think 1370 is "empty weight". I think, if I understand, I'm NOT going to ask what the empty weight is... I'm married, you see. I know better than to ask...

Bill

• Flygirl1
                  Flygirl1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your right, 1370 is not the "empty weight". What I read somewhere is that the Operational weight is the empty weight with the pilot weight added to that. Bill, you may be confused, but your not dumb. ;-) There is a study out that a woman who is overweight lives longer than her husband----who mentions it. ;-) Dennis warned me about this. Somebody someday is going to figure out my empty weight. I will say according to Mark G., the heaviest patrol out there is 1245 and we are less than that. Donna
                  Last edited by Flygirl1; 01-03-2017, 09:22 PM.

• Patrol28
                  Patrol28 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looking good. I know we all should strive for a light airplane for enhanced performance but we should also build for utility and how we individually want to use our personal airplane. The no electric,hand propped Patrol is fine for some but not for all. Your airplanes look like they will serve you well. More pictures please, we need motivation.

• Super excited for you guys!!
                Mark
                Scratch building Patrol #275
                Hood River, OR

Comment

• Flygirl1
                  Flygirl1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Chewie, thanks! I'm hoping to convince our DAR to let us fly further up and down the valley instead of over mountains in the other directions. I'd just as soon stay over i-5 for a while. Not sure what the radius is these days, but hopefully we can get it stretched enough that we can stop by. With experimental props and engines I believe our fly off time is the most they do. D.

• Here is a photo of the other Patrol. For some reason it is very difficult to load photo's. Sometimes it will take them and sometimes it won't. I have about 3000 or more photo's of the whole 4 yrs. of the build and would have been posting them all along, but we just recently acquired some sort of high speed internet. The best we could do for our location. D.

Comment

• Sweet ride!
                  Christopher Owens
                  Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                  Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                  Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• Donna, I can say that you folks are surely building some gorgeous aircraft! Can't wait to read flight reports.
                    tell us a bit about the gear leg - fuselage fairing. Fiberglass or aluminum? Looks really nice!

Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X