Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I was working on a mount for the adahrs in the wing, between the fuel tank and fuselage. This would have been easier with the wing off, but not easy enough to justify removing a wing.

Comment

• Can you compensate being off centerline with your AHRS? I seem to recall they liked to be closer to the center.
      Christopher Owens
      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• Yes, it needs to be parallel to the three axes, but the specs for being off those axes are published and relatively liberal. I put a remote compass in the wing tip.

Comment

• Here are the adahrs mounting specs.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Wow, that is liberal. Makes for a lot of mounting opportunities.
            Christopher Owens

Comment

• No work done but the UPS guy stopped by...

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Chris In Milwaukee
                Chris In Milwaukee commented
                Editing a comment
                Feeling a little cranky today? :-)

• JimParker256
                JimParker256 commented
                Editing a comment
                Chris - that was SOOOO bad! (I loved it!)

• I've often considered buying my engine in pieces to spread out the costs.
              Christopher Owens

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris In Marshfield
                I've often considered buying my engine in pieces to spread out the costs.
                I didn't purposefully by mine in pieces. I bought a core that needed up having a bad crank. If you have the ability and desire to rebuild your own engine, or work with an A&P, then I think buying a good core is the least expensive way to go. I'm really excited to get the rest of my steel parts back from Aircraft Specialties so we can start engine assembly.

Comment

• My mission to Oshkosh, this year, was to order avionics. The panel will be extremely simple, but packed with information and features. The box of stuff arrived last week and I've begun installation! Panel will consist of a Garmin G3x touch 10" display, G5 backup doisplay, Garmin 307 autopilot panel. The G3x will operate a remote comm radio and a GTX 45R transponder. That transponder, paired with the WAAS GPS source, will provide ADS/B in and out. The G3X will display engine parameters and AOA information, by virtue of the special pitot ptobe. The 307 will control pitch and roll servos. The G3X provides the 2 place intercomm. So, no radios or transponder on the panel. No intercomm, either. No engine gauges. As a matter of fact, not a steam gauge, with a needle on the panel, either. There will be a BUNCH of circuit breakers, however.... and a vertical card compass!

Bill
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• That looks very nice, Bill.

How are you planning to attach the panel itself to the airframe? It looks like you counter-sunk for rivets? I'm using nut-plates and screws so I can remove it if necessary for access.
                    Jim Parker
                    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• Thanks Jim! There are nutplates, on the horizontal tube, that the panel will screw to. Also, there's an aluminum angle curved frame along the top edge, with nutplates to attach the instrument panel and nutplates to attach the glareshield. The instrument panel will be totally removable. The only impediment to removal will be carb heat, cabin heat controls and the engine primer.
                      I spent today configuring the wiring harness. CAUTION: Shameless Plug to follow! I have enjoyed reading STOL Aircraft Magazine, from the first issue. Those guys are trying hard to publish a magazine that appeals to fliers like us. Sarasota Avionics is a regular contributor to the mag, so I looked them up at Oshkosh. They were knowledgeable and competitive. I told the boss that I liked the fact that he's a contributor to the STOL magazine and I was buying my system from them, for that reason. I've been in contact with those guys for the past three months. Good folks! Installing the equipment, leaves me with the impression that I made a good choice. The harness is going in really nicely! Enough of my shameless plug...
                      Now, hopefully the smoke will stay in the boxes, when they're powered up...

Bill

Comment

• 1,516 holes! Boy are my arms tired...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Christopher Owens

Comment

• Chris In Milwaukee
                          Editing a comment
                          If I had to put all the days together, collectively probably something like 6 hours?

• Deftone
                          Deftone commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thats not actually all that bad then, pretty mind numbing though!

• Chris In Milwaukee
                          Editing a comment
                          No lie! Monotonous for sure.

• This week has seen me working on engine baffles. I bought the baffle kit, from Vans and am very impressed with the quality and completeness! It's all fitted and riveted together. The gasket, on top, is my challenge now. I'll post a couple of pics when it's done.
                        Today, 'the stars aligned' allowing the opportunity to paint the second wing, so I went for it! Note to self: Heated spray booths are great! I masked for the leading edge stripe, at 10:00 this morning and loaded the finished wing into the trailer, at 3:30 this afternoon! Whew! I was a bit nervous, but the paint was surely hard enough to move. I'm not used to that time frame.

Bill

Comment

• Been pretty cold so I haven't done much real work on the plane. I needed to brush up on my SolidWorks skills so have been playing around with an idea for 10" wheels with beadlockers. This would allow me to run the Desser 31" tire with no tube and no concern with blowing a bead when running low pressures. Designed so I can make them with my current tools and weld it together. Made of 4130 and weighs 10.6lbs. Not likely I'll ever actually build them but maybe.

Comment

• Why not finish the drawings...make one wheel under sized for the bearing race bores and over sized for the remainder. Send to a foundry to sandcast aluminum parts from the prototype. What ever happened to the guy who made the billet control stick assemblies?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X