Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That list doesn't stop at the first flight!

Comment

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      Folks, Jared is like Yoda, a true Savant of our community. Listen to him. My ways are not the way to a first flight.

• jaredyates
      jaredyates commented
      Editing a comment
      To make sure you didn't misunderstand me Brooks, I mean to compliment your idea and say the to-fix list of things that aren't quite right will continue even after you are flying.

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand. I took your words as a compliment. I now see others could create unnecessary barriers to completion with my posts.

• Almost finished up on stringers and installed baggage door latch.

Comment

• Had a local IA review my FF installation and now I'm working through his list of suggestions.

Comment

• jaredyates
        jaredyates commented
        Editing a comment
        Start up a thread and list them for the rest of us!

• windows installed.jpg Yay, finally got my window frames fitted, drilled and clecoed in place!
      Last edited by DBeaulieu; 01-26-2024, 07:51 PM. Reason: added picture

Comment

• Got the fairleads installed (started to get a bit of C-Clip technique after the first couple of fairleads Also got the flooring final size drilled. Introduced a young'n to airplane making - No drill bit in the drill but quite happy to help me. We all gotta start learning this homebuilding building stuff sometime...

Floor final size and fairleads.jpg

Miles drilling.jpg

Comment

• After some tooling delays I finally got my first inspection hole cut with backup ring and cover fitted. You guys were right, those edge margins are tight and can sneak up on you if you're not watching, but I'm happy with the results. Measure thrice cut twice!
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

• ScottS
            ScottS commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks good Mark, What worked for me was a Template and a router. Scott

• Had the technical counselors from EAA chapter 441 out today to look at my wings and empennage. All was deemed satisfactory and I got to learn alot about the tech counselor program. Thanks to counselors Brian Lee and Dave Nason. I highly recommend this free service from EAA.
          Gerry
          Patrol #30

Comment

• Plus 1 on Gerry's post. Tech counselor from my local chapter visited recently. As a first time builder, I found it reassuring to have an experienced set of eyes look over my project. As we chatted about construction, engines, fuel systems, etc. I came away with a better perspective on the whole enterprise, and maybe a bit more confidence to keep forging ahead.

Comment

• Got me an adjustable seat (while I ponder the fuel valve/floor splitting decision)

seat adjustment.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Chewie View Post
                After some tooling delays I finally got my first inspection hole cut with backup ring and cover fitted. You guys were right, those edge margins are tight and can sneak up on you if you're not watching, but I'm happy with the results. Measure thrice cut twice!
                Looks good, nice job!

Comment

• Originally posted by DBeaulieu View Post
                  Got me an adjustable seat (while I ponder the fuel valve/floor splitting decision)

seat adjustment.jpg
                  What kind of fasteners/pins are you planning to use through the holes to hold the seat in position? Bolts with nuts, or something that is quick-release is some way?

Comment

• Hey Dave, my plan is to open from #30 to 3/16" for stainless quick release pin on each side.

Comment

• Many years ago I was taking off in a Cherokee. Just after lift off the seat went all the way back and the seatback collapsed. I ended up in a pile in the back seat with my girlfriend screaming. Ever since then I never wanted to hear the words "guick release" and "seat" in the same sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by geraldmorrissey View Post
                        Many years ago I was taking off in a Cherokee. Just after lift off the seat went all the way back and the seatback collapsed. I ended up in a pile in the back seat with my girlfriend screaming. Ever since then I never wanted to hear the words "guick release" and "seat" in the same sentence.
                        You can't leave us with the first half of that story without telling us how you fixed it!

Comment

• Closest call I ever had. I was young and agile. My desperate attempt to regain control probably only made matters worse, the plane was quite happy to fly away without my imput. The plane was a rental, the seat was worn, had shoddy weld repairs on the frame. A well designed quick release system is really convient and I can see why that is an important, but I like nuts and bolts. Just my .02.

Comment

• TrueAirSpeed
                            TrueAirSpeed commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Glad to know I’m not the only one. Happened to me in an EMS Astar B3 helicopter at a 3 foot hover with three soles on board. You can imagine as the seat slid rearward the cyclic followed. No catastrophic outcome, but if I’d been sitting on a piece of coal-a diamond would have been made.
                        Working...
                        X