Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offering upholstered Bearhawk seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark I would be interested in purchasing upholstered seats. Perhaps a woollen sort of backing rather than leather for the hot Australian climate. Kicked off work again a few weeks back. We are fitting the landing gear central attach fittings and wishbone fitting to the inside of the axle. Work and part time farming just keeps getting in the way of progress. Peter

Comment

The kit idea sounds good to me.

Comment

Consider two thicknesses, one for short people and one for tall people. Just Aircraft has started doing that for their SuperSTOL and I think it is a very good idea. Cloth is good for me.

Comment

Any further progress or info on this Mark?

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
            Mark Goldberg commented
            Editing a comment
            I have not had time to make progress on this. It would be a good thing to offer some kind of upholstery package. But getting it moving forward has not really happened. I do have a better idea now what builders want. Just have to select materials and send them down to this upholsterer.

I have also had work done by a local upholsterer here in the Austin area. Probably more expensive than the one in the town where the kit factory is, but maybe more doable. Mark

I

I just visited the local upholsterer who has done a good job for me at very reasonable cost. Maybe the way to proceed is to bring the local upholsterer a set of seats for each plane model so he will have something to work with. Then perhaps make a "kit" of the foam and the fabric cover. Leaving the seat bottom "pan" and seatback to be done by the builder. Using the heavy fabric glued or webbing as the backing is what most builders do. Shipping finish welded seats around would add to the cost quite a bit. Maybe have 2 or 3 options as far as the fabric. One heavy out door fabric, one fake leather, and one wool. Maybe it would work to leave to each customer the ability to supply a fabric they like and send it down to the upholsterer once we know how much is required. What do yall think? Mark

Comment

I like it Mark! The idea of a cushion / cover package works for me. Bill

Comment

I'd sign up for that!
              -------------------
              Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
              Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
              RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

I visited the Oregon Aero booth a couple times during Airventure, it was a great place to load test some comfy seats and cool down. But I digress.

They quoted me about $2800 for leather covers and cushions front and rear. For me it's pretty attractive that I can take my wife up and to their shop and have them custom fit us. I like the idea of maybe an extend thigh area with a stick cutout, being a little longer of leg.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                  Mark Goldberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oregon Aero does a great job and their seats are excellent. But it does come at a price most homebuilders (Bearhawk guys especially) are not always willing to pay. I hope to be visiting soon with these local upholsterers that have done a few seats for me. Maybe we will see if working out something with them is possible. Mark

Hey Mark, did you ever find an upholsterer? I need to find one for my seats too.

Comment

Dave, if you come to Austin to see your son you can bring your seats and I can introduce you to the couple who have upholstered my last planes. They do very nice work. And another trip back to pick them up would likely be required. If you want to do that I suggest you bring the fabric you like and perhaps even the foam if you want something special. Mark

Comment

thanks Mark, Ill contact you before I come.

Comment

Check out TNWings. I have seen and sat in Oregon Aero seats. The only thing wrong with them is you could fall asleep in them. If you can afford them, they are a class act. After all the work you put into an airplane, you deserve the best.
                      Gerry
                      Patrol #30

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                        Mark Goldberg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oregon Aero has done several sets of seats for kit customers. Very nice work. Mark

My Oregon Aero seats are really comfortable. I've done the long hangar test. Unfortunately their prices have recently really gone up as they are swimming in military work which is a testament to their quality. They did honor their pricing quote for me from 1 year ago otherwise they would have been too expensive. You might try Flightline Interiors in Wisconsin, they do all the seats for American Champion.

Comment

I should throw in a very good option is Sport Aircraft Seats here in AK. Daniel there does great work and does a lot for customers down south too. He has a nice website: https://sportaircraftseats.com/
                        He has done a few Bearhawks now including mine. Will customize however you need.
                        Almost flying!

Comment

• davzLSA
                          davzLSA commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I spoke with Daniel about doing some LSA seats and he would not do them because he did not have a pattern for them. And he did not sound very enthusiastic about making a pattern.

• AKKen07
                          AKKen07 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well dang!
                      Working...
                      X