Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health insurance for personal flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health insurance for personal flying

Does anyone have a good recommendation for finding health insurance that actually covers personal flying (in USA). Every company I talked to has an exception.

Like AD&D/Life or actual health insurance?
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

The only insurance know if that has aviation exclusions for is life insurance. My policy has an aviation rider attached to it. It cost a little more, and it may not cover flight in experimental aircraft. I would think the EAA would be a good source of information.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I've received quotes from piclife.com on term life insurance and didn't think it was that much more than "non-pilot" insurance. It is more for Experimental but as the agent told me......after the first 3 years it doesn't matter. I forgot what the clause is called? ie. If you tell them you don't scuba dive, and you die scuba diving within 3 years of buying the policy...they don't pay. After 3 years.....you're covered for anything.....regardless of how you were quoted.

Comment

I have term life insurance through my regular Edward Jones guy. My wife told him I had to be covered while flying and he said no problem...cost an extra few dollars per month. Honestly I haven't read the policy so I can't speak to specifics. I know I really do need to read the policy.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I have AOPA AD&D. The only aviation exclusion that they have is experimental rotarcraft. An EAA staff told me that their AD&D doesn't have that exclusion. I've considered moving up to regular life from one or the other, but haven't yet made the decision.
            Christopher Owens
            Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
            Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
            Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I've been able to find life and AD&D, but the health insurance side is still eluding me. Both BCBS & UHC have an exclusion section that does not cover personal flying, whether certified or experimental. I'll check with EAA, but did not see anything on their website about heath insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickh99 View Post
                Thanks for the replies. I've been able to find life and AD&D, but the health insurance side is still eluding me. Both BCBS & UHC have an exclusion section that does not cover personal flying, whether certified or experimental. I'll check with EAA, but did not see anything on their website about heath insurance.
                Wierd. I've never heard of that before. I'll have to read my UHC policy exclusions.
                Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Is it because the aircraft insurance would cover medical expenses related to aviation mishaps? I'm just guessing here. For example, when a relative was in a bad motorcycle wreck, his employer health insurance was secondary to his motorcycle insurance.

Comment

most owner or renter policies have a $10,000 medical coverage. Other than that, I have not found a health insurance policy that covers flying. I guess they consider it too "high-risk"

Comment

Mine has no exceptions for flying at all. I have Federal Employees BCBS. My term life insurance has no exclusions for aviation either (or anything for that matter) and that's through USAA. I actually found this thread a bit odd. Why would an insurance company not cover your injury? If I was rock climbing and fell, or even got injured horseback riding, I found no exclusions in my policy based solely on activity.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

This was from my policy's exclusions
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I don't have anything exclusion like that. Did an insurance company representative actually state they won't cover personal flying? Seems really odd for some reason.

Comment

The first time I called UHC, they said personal flying was strictly excluded. Common-carrier only was covered. I called UHC again (today) and this time a different rep said they do cover any medical issues resulting from personal flying. And just received an updated copy of the policy that no longer has that exclusion.

Now if I could only get that restriction removed from my AD&D policy...
                              LifeIns.png
                              When I called the rep about getting a rider to remove that, they said it was not possible. And she said they may not cover passengers in private aircraft, but would determine that when a claim was filed, even though nothing specifically excludes passengers in the policy. What kind of BS is that!!!!?

EAA has a relatively inexpensive AD&D policy that covers pilots and family, so I will be adding that in the near future.

And on a related insurance note, my Allstate homeowner's insurance does not cover my aircraft build project, with no rider available. And transporting it was not covered by Allstate vehicle or homeowner's insurance.
                              I got a policy (also through EAA from Falcon Insurance) for about $250 a year, non-moving, no liablility, specifically for projects. And I can upgrade in the future when I get it to flying status.

I almost need a lawyer to keep track of all the different insurance types, exclusions, riders, etc for flying.

Comment

Working...
                              X