Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabin Vents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On mine I dimpled them and used 1/8 flush rivets. It's just like when I first installed it 3 years and 300 hours later.
    Rollie VanDorn
    Findlay, OH
    Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Another option might be using soft rivets. The hard rivets are AN426AD. The soft ones are AN426A (no D). They squeeze like butter. I think less stress might be placed on the fiberglass.

They are listed at the bottom of the page....can be purchase in a 1/8th pound at time. Don't get them mixed up with your AD rivets, but if you do, it obvious during installation, and they drill out easy.
      Solid Aluminum Rivets - Countersunk Head - AN426 A rivets are soft. They are fabricated from 1100-grade aluminum and have a tensile strength of 16,000 PSI. AD rivets are fabricated from 2117 aluminum and heat treated to the T4 condition.

Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Another option might be using soft rivets.
        Thats a really good idea, I didn’t know there was a difference. In the meantime I’ve bonded them in place - seems a lot of the Vans builders do this and if the bond fails it’s a pretty low risk issue. I’ll order some soft rivets and use them over the top. Thanks.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

On the RV10, they are simply bonded with fuel tank sealant .....

Comment

Aircraft spruce has several options for window vents like the Vista vent that works real well at high speed as well as the piper vents.

The small round ones are designed for helicopters that seldom go past 100 mph they crack often, however if you trim them back they last much longer and still shut of.

one can go as far as trimming them to the 1/2 way point and dramatically increase the airflow as well. They still shut of even in winter.

Comment

Does anyone have pictures of their wing root vent install that they are willing to post and share?

Comment

alaskabearhawk has pictures of his leading edge vent installation on his kitlog page:
                homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit

Comment

I used the vents that are standard equipment on Maules. Had them on the M5 prior to the Bearhawk.
                  Easy to install and use. Best part is the ability to direct the airflow and quantity.
                  Able to install anywhere out of the line of sight including the lower door for extra ventilation if needed.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

In regards to the naca vents that Vans sells, I have two of them on my RV-8 and have flown many times (probably more than I should have) through driving rain and to my surprise other than maybe a couple of drops, I don't get any water in the cockpit. Of course, I'm cruising anywhere from 155 KTAS to 173 KTAS, so those raindrops don't have much of a chance to get sucked into the vents

Comment

Working...
                    X