Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Additional Vertical Stabilizer Area for Float Operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Vertical Stabilizer Area for Float Operations

I've never flown on floats, but I plan to one day. As I work on my project, I want to make sure I have accommodations for it. One of the things that I've seen on many float planes is the addition of vertical stab area, whether it be a dorsal arrangement or some extra finnage on the horizontal stab. Here are a few examples:

OSH13_7-31-13_-Seaplane-Base-Cessna-195-On-Floats.jpg beaver_floats_1.jpg beaver_floats_2.jpg howard_floats_1.jpg

One Bearhawk builder has created a mounting system so that a ventral fin (under the tail) can be fitted, like in the yellow Beaver above. Although I recall one builder (who escapes me) described that the Bearhawk had more than enough vertical area, and that additional help wasn't necessary when on floats. Perhaps alaskabearhawk Paul would have a better idea who that would have been. So, thinking ahead, I want to at least make sure I have a way to fasten them in case the need is there.

The ventral fin is no problem. I've got that one figured out. But the fins on the horizontal stab have me thinking. The Beaver, Moose, and similar aircraft with balanced elevators have a space between the elevator and the horizontal stab that is parallel to the longitudinal axis of the plane. That makes finding a place to fasten the fins fairly straightforward. However, the space between the elevator and horizontal stab on the Bearhawk is on an angle. I considered the possibility of straightening out that angle, as in this ruthlessly plagiarized photo from whee posted a couple days ago:

float_fins.png

But I'm debating whether or not this is a good idea, given the balance is so near perfect on the original Bearhawk design. Perhaps a fin design option more akin to the C-195 is an option, with the fastening point actually being on the red line above, leaving the angle as-is.

The ventral fin is certainly the easiest to accomplish. Opinions are welcomed!
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

If you straighten that line, it should make your attach points stronger and increase your elevator area slightly, both good things for a floatplane.
    You could also extend the leading edge of the vertical stab forward at the bottom and taper back, similar to the Stinson 108 & Maule.

Comment

I have no float experience so I should just keep my mouth shut. I'll probly get hammered for what I'm about to say.

IMO the BH is so dimensionally similar the the Maule that I am just doing what Maule did and will have fittings for a ventral fin. Bob has the drawing for those fittings in an old Beartracks and I plan to follow it. I doubt any more vertical surface will be needed. You could aways install rivet plates along that straight line on the H-stab and cover them with fabric. If it ends up you want more vertical area then you already have something to affix fins too.

I wouldn't change the area of the stab or the elevator. The controls feel so good and if you change that area it will change the feel. You could end up with a heavy elevator, light rudder and moderate ailerons and that would suck.
      Last edited by whee; 05-19-2016, 09:17 AM.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Chris In Milwaukee
        Chris In Milwaukee commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree, that would suck. :-) Presume you meant to say that you -would not- change it based on the sentence afterward. I think I'll do as you suggest and add nut plates along the outboard parallel rib in case I need them. And, like you, I'll put the fixtures in place for a ventral fin. If it's needed, it would be a drag putting it on after the fact. Might as well get it ready to go the first time.
        Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 05-18-2016, 03:10 PM.

I had a write-up about this published in BearTracks just recently. BTW, the forward mounting point where Bob has it is way too far forward, It needs to be back one station.

Comment

• Chris In Milwaukee
        Chris In Milwaukee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Paul, I'll go back and look it up. The forward mounting point of which you speak, is that the one at Station E? I presumed forward mounting was at a gear location. I'll have to go back and revisit that float video you published a bit ago. And, of course, the BearTracks article.

alaskabearhawk Paul's article was in Q4 2015 BearTracks. How the heck did I miss that?! Great info, Paul. Thanks for the write up.

Christopher Owens
      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I have little float experience, but prefer the stabilizer mounted surfaces for better dock clearance.

What about using the outer hinge attach bolt on the rear horizontal stab spar and a clamping mechanism or welded mount on the forward spar for mounting points? With equal size fins on top and bottom there will be very little bending moment on the spars and this wouldn't require extra fittings or tubes except perhaps for a bolt hole fitting in the forward stabilizer spar.

Sent from my HTCD100LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Eventually....when I get back to my Bearhawk.... Cessna added more surface area to vertical stabilizer...why not on a Bearhawk? Will install two bushings at a right angle in the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer. One bushing and additional structure forward at the top stringer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
            Mark Goldberg commented
            Editing a comment
            I am no expert but imagine that more vert stab would translate into less cross wind ability. So it might be a trade off. Mark
        Working...
        X