Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elevator hinge design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just looked at the plans for both the 4-place and Patrol, and they both look to be threaded so the fittings go all the way through both tubes. Interesting.

Looking at the way Eric Newton did his, although it's hard to see from the photos, he welded a nut to the hinge to capture the grease fitting, and drilled a very small hole through the tubing to allow the grease to goosh through. If I recall, the fitting never went through the outer tube, only up to the surface, and the nut held the fitting in place.

Snaps from his builder manual:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I had put a response to a post on earlier about the push in grease fittings that we used on our grease-able fittings on the elev and rudders, just my 2 cents worth

I am fitting ribs onto spars and it seems to me that thegrease nipple at flap spring area will protrude beneath the finished wing skin as well as the wing

Comment

I've been wondering about this as well... While bearing on the elevator spar gives a large amount of surface area it also means that any wear/corrosion over time would be decreasing the strength of that control surface. Faithful lubrication would be critical for this type of design.

Comment

Working...
        X