Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's flying a Maule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's flying a Maule?

I have an opportunity to get an MX-7-180A which is probably the closest thing to a BH-type platform I'll be able to find. Insurance is an OMG moment, but if it's going to take me ten years to finish my plane, this'll be a more comparable option than the C-140. Opinions?
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Insurance is omg. I have a lot of tail wheel time and mine as gone up every year since I started flying the plane. Seems as if the insurance companies have lost money on tail wheel aircraft. I thought the price would go down when I had 100+ hours in type.

Comment

Really good friend had a brand new MX7-180 a few years back. Got a little time in it. Put it side by side with a Bearhawk and you'd swear they're first cousins, at least! Good solid, honest plane. You'll note that the Maule has lots of side area, but not lots of rudder. The plane was stable and flew well. My only ill comment, is that you can find yourself rudder limited, in a stiff crosswind situation. I don't recall any service issues with the plane.
      Good luck!

Bill

Comment

I think Bob flew a Maule for a while before he designed the Bearhawk. They are very similar in design.
        I had a lot of fun flying one a number of years ago. Only issue I had was that I frequently landed TW first.

Comment

Wouldn't it be cool if a fella could just "add a little extra rudder" to the plane? Too bad, so sad, certificated.
          Christopher Owens

Comment

• Bdflies
            Bdflies commented
            Editing a comment
            More rudder? Yeah! And sticks too!
            Oh wait....then it would be (are you ready?) a Bearhawk! Or real close...

Bill

Got the quote back from my insurer today. Nearly soiled myself! $5100! But, they said if I could get 50 hours tailwheel before buying (currently have 30), it would go down to $2498. Now we're talking...
          Christopher Owens

Comment

$2500 is what I was quoted for both a maule and a BH. I say go for it. I've always wanted a M-4 with sticks instead of a yoke...
            Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Sounds like a fun ride.

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
                $2500 is what I was quoted for both a maule and a BH. I say go for it. I've always wanted a M-4 with sticks instead of a yoke...
                And that is exactly why I purchased the 'el-cheapo' 1965 Champion 7ECA, and am working towards having well over 100 hours before the Patrol insurance quote goes out... LOL

Actually, I was quite surprised to be charged only $728 per year for the Citabria insurance. I was expecting $1,500 or more, since I was using the plane to earn my tailwheel endorsement. Of course, part of it is because the hull value is low — less than $25,000. And I'm sure it helps somewhat on the liability side that I've got a Commercial/Instrument (albeit Instrument only for Helicopters) ticket and almost 1900 hours total time (but zero tailwheel at that time). My insurance guy says the Citabria insurance will go down a bit at 50 hours, and a larger amount at 100 hours of tailwheel time. He also indicated that my present company would be highly unlikely to insure a homebuilt with a tailwheel, unless the pilot has at least 100 hours of tailwheel time. Hence my 100-hour goal along with the Patrol build.
                Jim Parker
                Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Good idea. I have an interim mission, though, that the C-140 is too small to fulfill. The Maule is the perfect size for it, and good practice for BH-like activity. Plus being a 180, it'll be as efficient as your typical 172/Archer in fuel burn. And the dog can get in it

if if all goes according to plan, I think it will be a great ride while building. And it comes with skis!
                  Christopher Owens

Comment

Originally posted by Chris In Marshfield
                    And it comes with skis!
                    That right there should make it done deal😎

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

What about liability insurance only? You built it, you can fix it. If you do bend your plane, who will the insurance company find to repair your tube and rag airplane to your standards? I have had this discussion with other pilots who have considered this for their certified aircraft including one Bonanza owner. I've known pilots who live in rural Midwest that have never had insurance of any kind. For that matter, they never had annual inspections, BFR's or medicals either. Most flew off their own farm strips. Really off the grid. It kind of appeals to me.
                      Gerry
                      Patrol #30

Comment

The second quote sounds quite reasonable. If you buy it, will you show me how to fly off of skis?

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
                          The second quote sounds quite reasonable. If you buy it, will you show me how to fly off of skis?
                          You bet I will! I have 20 hours to fly off before anything, and part of that will be on skis.
                          Christopher Owens

Comment

Originally posted by geraldmorrissey View Post
                            What about liability insurance only?
                            I would do this for a scratch built airplane, I think. Kit built, it would be nice to have replacement money. My Expedition is a one-of-a-kind, so no kit for that one!

I'll have to finance the Maule, so I'll need coverage for the leinholder.
                            Christopher Owens

Comment

Working...
                            X