Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ELT's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We install a lot of Artex units and no complaints.

Having read a lot of accident reports, and response time, my personal opinion is to buy an Artex or less expensive modern ELT, and use the money saved on a PLB like a Garmin Inreach or Mini. Use it every time you fly, and tell someone every time you fly.

I expect if it’s needed my friends will find me faster than the local response teams coordinated once contacted by the ELT alert center.

If you crash out outside of civilization where you need the ELT, a really really good response time is not minutes or hours, it’s the same day.
    I have 4-5 friends contact info linked to the sos button.

Even if they don’t want it, they’re getting a call.

Comment

on a fabric airplane, many people put the antenna inside the empennage in the back. i installed it that way in the J3. lots of debate on whether the fuselage tubes inhibit function but most agree mounting it at an angle to the tubes its fine. also its well protected compared to an external antenna. i will do this in the LSA.

I agree on the comment about carrying a PLB also if you’re going out in the boonies. ELTs don’t have a great record of saves, so if you’re alive and functioning, the PLB is a great way to go.

Comment

With SMS to satellite theoretically only months away for the mass market, I wouldn't be rushing to invest in a Gamin Inreach / mini any time soon.

All that old GPS-SMS tech should be redundant, if the companies deliver on their self-manufactured hype.

In fact, those devices are potentially going to end up valueless in short order, in the extreme case.

Comment

Battson, you have a solid point that hadn't really settled in for me. However, tracking and utilitarian messaging key features of these devices. Your position is reported before there is a problem. Some messaging can avoid problems. SMS to satellite should provide these, but it may be a while before we see more than emergency messaging? I haven't kept up on that tech, but all I've been seeing is SOS messaging.

When ever it does come, it will be game changing for off grid activities.

Comment

• Battson
            Battson commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven't been watching closely, but earlier this year they were saying that some network providers would have general SMS capabilities by the end of this year. Definitely has the potential to be a game changer, I am poised to sell my satellite phone as soon as it drops.

Apple's IOS 18 preview/beta will send iMessages via satellite when no cellular or wireless network is available so I expect this will be widely available soon.

Comment

The Apple solution currently only works for emergencies and in the US goes to a call center or directly to 911 centers over text depending on their capabilities. You have to hold the phone and point to the sat. The new system with T-Mobile and starlink in the US at least will use standard cell phones to send emergency and non emergency text messages over cellular or sat. Eventually you will also get voice. No special equipment or phone needed. Space X is also deploying the services with other carriers around the world.

if you want to send position reports along the way you could use an app on your phones to send position reports. I mounted a SPOT asset tracker in my wingtip that sends out position reporta over sat every 5 minutes. It started sending based on motion. They are cheap and I do not have to think about it. I set up a web site with them that friend and family can view that shows all ly locations within the last 72 hours

Last edited by N3UW; 08-19-2024, 01:43 PM.
            John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

• Have-Purple
              Have-Purple commented
              Editing a comment
              You running your SPOT hard wired for power? This device sounds very appealing and not too hard to integrate.
          Working...
          X