Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parking Brake or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think if you don't leave the parking brake "set" for prolonged periods of time, it reduces the chances for problems.

The procedure I like to follow is:
    • set the parking brake
    • tie the plane down / chock the wheels
    • release the parking brake
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

engines mount from Avid pro with lord mount from for lycoming 0-360 $550.00 never use

Comment

wheel-skis copie Flut dime
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• JimParker256
            JimParker256 commented
            Editing a comment
            My French is very poor. Can anyone translate "copie Flut dime" for me? Google translate was no help at all...

• Peter Girard
            Peter Girard commented
            Editing a comment
            sorry it copie Fluidyne Airplane Skis (Cessna 185) C3200

• JimParker256
            JimParker256 commented
            Editing a comment
            Why are you listing stuff you have for sale in the middle of a thread about parking brakes? You'd do better to list them in the "for sale" section, with a separate thread for each item. And you would generate a lot more interest if you included your asking price and where the items are located (for shipping purposes). Good luck!

I have the Matco Parking Brake Valve in #164 and it works just fine. Use it frequently. The one thing I will add: The job of the valve is to hole the brake hydraulic pressure. Early on I did a test to make sure it was not disconnecting me from the brakes. I closed the valve with no pressure on the brakes. I then pushed the brake pedals. The pressure went through to the brakes, but held when I released the pedals. Think of it as a one-way valve. If you land with the valve closed but haven't applied any pressure, the wheels will still roll. When you do apply pressure, the brakes will stay at the highest pressure applied. Not a good idea, but not necessarily disasterous.
          Russ Erb
          Bearhawk #164 "Three Sigma" (flying), Rosamond CA
          Bearhawk Reference CD
          http://bhcd.erbman.org

Comment

Interesting reading people's thoughts on this. The previous owner of my kit had one installed and I took it out. Useless weight imo.

In all my years of flying there's not a single aircraft I've ever trusted the parking brake on. And every airplane, every training program and every company I've worked for has had the same mentality.
            The large jets are the only aircraft I've used them on(holding short and before the wheels are chocked), and even then, the parking brake shall not be used unless you are physically at the seat. They are not to be trusted is the key theme. We walk away only when chalks are in, holding and brakes are released.

Never walk away from your airplane unless it's chalked or tied down. In the bush this means carry tie downs and anchors. The parking brake doesn't stop the wing from making lift. Chalks work if your Vr is above 60kts or so.. maybe 90 to be safe.

Comment

I’m putting in the Grove. I often need my parking brake
              on my Citabria when fueling in a windy location or when the ramp is sloped. Can’t imagine dealing with chocks instead.

Comment

Easy to say "never walk away from your plane until the wheels are chocked", but there are places you may want to land where there is enough slope that your plane will roll downhill unless you hold the brakes (which makes it challenging to get out of the plane to chock the wheels). That's where the parking brake comes in REALLY handy. Well worth the 2-3 ounces of weight it adds, in my opinion. Sure beats having to wait for someone else to happen along and assist you with chocking the wheels – especially if you're in the back country. Batson might wait for weeks out where he flies! I waited nearly 15 minutes on a 105F ramp one day, and that was at a pretty busy GA airport in Texas!
                Jim Parker
                Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I have a mechanical parking brake on my Champ that pulls on the cable operated drum brakes. I start 'em by propping them, so I will have a parking brake on my Bearhawk. Your rate of climb may vary.

Comment

• Patrol28
                    Patrol28 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wrote that I use my parking brake on my Champ. I didn't feel the need to elaborate on my technique since its a parking brake thread but it involves more than the parking brake. Been propping the same Champ since 1970 with no scary occurrences so must be a safe technique or I'm lucky or both. If I'm interrupted during my procedure I go back to the beginning of my checklist and start over. If ya'll got a good technique to share I'm listening.

• robcaldwell
                    robcaldwell commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Patrol28 I just had to comment on the fact that you've been hand propping a Champ since 1970. I think that is amazing you've owned the same aircraft for so long. Not very common. My family has owned the same Ryan Navion since 1949 purchased by my Grandfather for $9,500 new. Actually we sold it 2 years ago because my Dad is 82 and has had several cancer occurrences and lost his medical. We hated to see it go, but it was not something I wanted as a personal aircraft as it would only be nostalgic and did not serve what I wanted. For whatever reason, I am the only pilot member of my family that is addicted to taildraggers!

• Patrol28
                    Patrol28 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the comment Rob. Navion was the first low wing airplane I rode in as a young man. Very cool airplanes. My dad bought our Champ in 1961 and I soloed it in '70. Unfortunately neither one of my two sons are interested in flying so not sure what I will do with the Champ someday. Owned many airplanes but the champ is the family heirloom. The Patrol will be my escape from the certified airplane kingdom.

Wondering how Matco parking brakes are working for the group. During checklist inspections I found my resevor was empty. Looks like the parking brake seals leak, possibly due to cold temps. Seals may have deteriorated. I'll be looking at this more closely to determine the cause.

Comment

• yateselden
                    yateselden commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Found my leak. Brake lines were binding a little, consequently loosened the fitting on one cylinder. I'll be changing line locations too eliminate the problem.

Originally posted by yateselden View Post
                  Wondering how Matco parking brakes are working for the group. During checklist inspections I found my resevor was empty. Looks like the parking brake seals leak, possibly due to cold temps. Seals may have deteriorated. I'll be looking at this more closely to determine the cause.
                  I've noticed my Matco valve is prone to seepage. If I put any lateral load on the arm fluid will slowly ooze out of the seals. Though putting pressure on the brakes seems to reseat the seals and stops the leak. I'm undecided if I'll do anything about that or just leave it be.
                  Dave B.
                  Plane Grips Co.
                  www.planegrips.com

Comment

• yateselden
                    yateselden commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Dave, I don't feel so alone now.
                    I don't think I have any lateral load on the barrel, but it is possible the pull cable may cause pressure. I'll look at that.
                Working...
                X