Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MGL Explorer Lite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGL Explorer Lite

Toying with the MGL EFIS Explorer Lite versus the reliable Dynon D-180. Have used the Dynon products before and have a soft spot for "familiar" rather than new! I do like the idea of a 8.5" screen rather than the 7". I also like the idea of an EFIS controlled remote radio with the MGL. Simple and clean. I am concerned about the quality of the MGL against the Dynon. I operated a dual EFIS Dynon system for 6 years in my Glastar in very low to very warm temps with no problems what so ever. Price is my major factor right now and size would be my second. Anyone's experience with the MGL products would be appreciated.Thanks

Steve W P203
    90% Done 50% Left to Go

Steve Busby in Ontario is a distributor for MGL. He knows a lot about their products. Mark

Comment

I'm interested in the "Lite" as well. Let us know what you find, please!
      Jim Parker
      Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
      RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I'm using the MGL iEFIS Lite along with the MGL panel mounted radio. I'm still getting accustomed to all of it, but I still have a lot to learn too. It is the first EFIS I have ever used so there has been a learning curve and I have nothing to compare with. My radio can be tuned from the screen, or with the knobs on the radio, itself; I always use the knobs, but that is what I'm used to doing. I do select my transponder code from the screen, and that works fine. I think I'm going to like it all, eventually. You might want to check the RV forums as quite a few of those guys use the MGL systems. Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob. I like the EFIS concept and once you know where to look on the screen to get the info you want, it gets easier plus the scan is so much smaller than a 6 pack. I'm getting close to making a decision and am leaning towards the Explorer and the radio to start.

Comment

Yes, I'm sure I'll get accustomed to the efis, but it is different after flying only behind steam gauges for over 50 years. What I like the least are the tapes for airspeed and altitude. I do not plan to fly IFR anymore though, so being able to monitor altitude precisely with just a glance at needle position is not as important now. I do really like a lot about the efis, though, including engine monitoring, moving map, quick access to airport info, and a lot of other stuff. Most of all, I like not having to carry a bunch of maps, etc. and not having extra devices with cords cluttering up the cockpit. Bob

Comment

Hey Jim just to let you know I chickened out and went with a Dynon 180, Flightline 760A radio and will most likely stick in and "couple" a basic Garmin 510 or something similar.

Comment

Working...
              X