Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another episode of Flightchops with Bearhawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another episode of Flightchops with Bearhawk

Some more video featuring Ryan's Bearhawk and a little Bearhawk surprise at the end.......

Wow, that *was* a very pleasant surprise!
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Fun video. Wish I could find a group of pilots like that to hangout with.

Found it interesting that the C180 was struggling to fly slow enough for the BH to keep up even though the BH was pushing it hard. Meanwhile the Maule is just chillin.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I think he's got a 540 from Bob ready to go in, so that will help.

Comment

Roverhawk is for sale, too.
          Christopher Owens
          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
            Found it interesting that the C180 was struggling to fly slow enough for the BH to keep up even though the BH was pushing it hard. Meanwhile the Maule is just chillin.
            Made me wonder what is powering that Bearhawk? Seems like even an O-360 would have given better performance than that, unless he has a fixed-pitch prop hyper-optimized for climb... I used to easily keep up with C-180s and Maules with my O-320 powered Grumman Traveler...
            Jim Parker
            Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
            RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Originally posted by JimParker256 View Post

Made me wonder what is powering that Bearhawk? Seems like even an O-360 would have given better performance than that, unless he has a fixed-pitch prop hyper-optimized for climb... I used to easily keep up with C-180s and Maules with my O-320 powered Grumman Traveler...
              Yeah I watched this last night, I paused to see the IAS - only 100 (kts or mph, I can't say). The spinner looks like a fixed pitch.
              I can see why Baloo is going for the -540, you'll enjoy a big improvement in speed from that upgrade.

Noting that the C180 in that video has 285hp at their disposal, we still have no trouble keeping up with any 180 I've ever seen (while I had the 26" wheels on). That includes a Pponk 180 with a huge 3 blade prop - we kept up for over an hour while running lean of peak! Maybe we needed to use 26 inHg MAP sometimes, but we always keep up...

The BH can also climb a lot faster than a Cessna.

How about a dive?
              Forget about it. Even a lowly C172 can outrun a Bearhawk in a dive.

No need to mention short-field operations... The 180 comes across really nicely in that video, with miles of room to land on that gravel bar.
              Last edited by Battson; 04-02-2017, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Hey guys! The engine swap is under way. That video was shot last July. The speed is in KTS and it had a constant speed prop. A few months back I did some rigging adjustments to my elevator trip and picked up 6-7 kts. That said, Brandon's C180 is a click machine with that PPonk. He kicked my ass in the climb and cruise. I'm looking forward to flying the 260hp BH in the next few weeks and will report back.
                Bearhawk 4 Place
                IO-540
                MGL Odyssey Gen 2 EFIS
                ABW 29" Tires
                Appareo ESG ADSB-Out
                Garmin GTR-200 COMM

Comment

• Bcone1381
                  Bcone1381 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ah....must be nice to see that much difference! I almost asked if there might be a rigging issue after Whee's pointed out the speed difference in post #3.

I would be interested to hear about your rigging adjustments in more detail.

Comment

I noticed that on a few flights with a bit of a load in the back that I was running out of nose down trim. The load in the back wasn't excessive and there is no way I should have been running out of trim. One thing that I had noticed was that on my overhead trim wheel the takeoff position was very very close to the full nose down trim stop on the wheel. We are talking 1/4" or so.

I set the trim wheel at the position where I had previously marked the takeoff setting to be and secured the elevator with gust locks. I took a digital inclinometer and measured what the angle of deflection was on the 2 trim tabs with the trim wheel set in the takeoff position. I dont recall the exact value but it was close to 4.5 degrees on the left trim tab and closer to 9.5 degrees on the right tab.

Noting the discrepancy between the 2 tabs I took the same angle measurement at full nose up and full nose down trip and noted a similar imbalance between the angles of the 2 trim tabs.

The next step was to disconnect the rod ends from the trim tabs. I then moved the trim wheel so that the trim indicator needle was further aft of full nose down and then with the trim wheel in that position I adjusted the length of the rod that connects to the trim tabs using the threaded rod end and set it so that BOTH trim tabs had an equal deflection of around 6 degrees.

This was the new approximate takeoff trim setting and with the adjustment it gave me ample nose up and nose down trim travel so I wouldn't be running out of trim anymore. There is still more nose up than nose down available. The new rigging netted me several knots as I believe that the 2 halves of the elevator were fighting on another with the only mis-matched trim tab angles. The aircraft was also much nicer to fly.

The next adjustments I am working on are to correct the bearhawk roll and make the aileron feel a bit heavier.
                  Bearhawk 4 Place
                  IO-540
                  MGL Odyssey Gen 2 EFIS
                  ABW 29" Tires
                  Appareo ESG ADSB-Out
                  Garmin GTR-200 COMM

Comment

Thanks for that write up, something to be aware of when rigging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wonder what position your bellcranks are in Baloo.

Comment

All I can tell you is that at the moment it is working nicely.
                        Bearhawk 4 Place
                        IO-540
                        MGL Odyssey Gen 2 EFIS
                        ABW 29" Tires
                        Appareo ESG ADSB-Out
                        Garmin GTR-200 COMM

Comment

Working...
                        X