Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covering Interior Pro / Con

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever you add to the interior, check to see if it is flammable material and or produces noxious fumes when heated. An inflight fire is not the time to find out your interior is flammable. I will probably go with no interior except for really good seats made with material guaranteed by the supplier to meet the FAR's flammability compliance requirements.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
      Gerhard Rieger commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought a certified aircraft for spares, and I tested the material they used for the interior, it burns, it smoke and if you are going to feed it with avgas from a ruptured fuel tank, man then its going all the way. we carry a lot of fuel in our aircraft, thats our main concern, do not crash and burn!

Even FAA approved material is flammable and produces noxious fumes. If the interior around you is on fire the fumes may not be your primary concern. I strongly agree with keeping that kind of material off the firewall, both inside the engine compartment as well as the interior firewall.
    Scott Ahrens
    Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Jim Parker mentioned the corrugated plastic stuff sold in HD and Walmart, etc. I have seen it numerous times. It is very light and probably close to indestructible. Quick rattle can finish and it is very cheap and light. I might be unbeatable for the cargo section, and maybe the aft bulkhead.

Comment

The corrugated plastic board goes by the brand name “Corflute” in many countries.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Or corrigated polystyrene. Although it is probably spelled wrong. MG

I forgot I bought a piece a while ago. It was very cheap. It weighs about 23 oz/sq yard. Slightly heavier than "heavy" fabric and paint at 20 oz. It might be hard to beat for some folks.

Comment

I am making a few of my interior panels removable, and am considering making all of them removable. I have never even sat in a fabric covered aircraft. How tuff is the fabric for use in the cargo area? By that I mean resistance to puncture and damage. I would be using heavier fabric and the minimum coatings.

I am making patterns now for the corrugated plastic panels. I want the side panels next to the seats to be removable. The sides of the cargo area don't need to be removable, but I don't want a fishing pole sticking out of the side of the plane either.

Comment

• Bdflies
            Bdflies commented
            Editing a comment
            The coated fabric is pretty tough. To make your own determination, make a square frame, of wood or metal and cover that frame. Shrink the fabric and use your coatings. When it’s cured, hit it and poke at it till destruction. You’ll be more confident in your decision with that experience.

Bill
        Working...
        X