Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaskan Bushwheel sizes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disagree on using 29’s at OSH for display. If you want it to look the part than 31 ABW’s are by far the most popular and most sold size on the market. It’s the standard. 35’s are killer, but most don’t go to that level, often because unless your friends have 35’s you are the only one able to go there. 29’s are great but won’t have the same show appeal as 31’s.

And you can sell slightly used 31 ABW’s all day long and twice on Sunday.

Just make sure you have a Tundra tailwheel installed. Both for the look and for the taller stance to keep the nose down when they’re sitting in it at the show.
    Last edited by 500AGL; 03-29-2021, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I believe I am about one in 7 billion people on planet earth. Of the 7 billion, I wonder if more than 7,000 are impressed with the size of the tires on an airplane. Maybe a lot less than that.

Comment

• Battson
        Battson commented
        Editing a comment
        Nobody said "brag". Just about everyone who comments on our plane mentions the large tires, one of the first things they notice.

• svyolo
        svyolo commented
        Editing a comment
        That would have been the first thing I would have noticed as well. I probably would have said "nice tires". LOL
        I doubt I knew what a ABW was 3 years ago. FWIW, I am building a BH to fly to places where I need big tires.

• zkelley2
        zkelley2 commented
        Editing a comment
        You clearly didn't have an ANC base.

Regarding Mark's question concerning tire size for display/airshow... I recently finished an S7S and am considering a Bearhawk as the next build. IMHO, I would prefer to see and demo the 5 on 8.50's. That would let me see what real world cruise speed I can expect on longer cross countries on tires that will let me land on dirt roads, hay fields, pastures, etc... If I want to land on boulders and stumps on rare occasions I know I can sacrifice speed for size when needed. For demo purposes I think the 8.50's allow this type plane to show it's broadest range of capability.

Comment

As mentioned above, no one “brags” about their tire size. For some it’s pure function. For others it’s pure show. And for a vast number is a combination of both.

Bushwheels provides a stance, and a look that in my opinion captures the overall look of a Bearhawk, helps solidify the ruggedness of the name, and helps promote one of its strengths. Not everyone drives a 4x4, and not everyone drives a sports car, but both owners can appreciate the other.

Visually first impressions are significant, and while it’s easy to say take off these bushwheels and you’ll cruise faster, it’s really hard to capture the attention of anyone looking at off-airport airplanes when it’s not setup to look like one.

Although this is a good discussion, keep in mind from a marketing point of view, we are already here talking about, flying, and building Bearhawks. Those of us here have already been interested enough to take this step. Displaying, demo-ing, showing and selling is designed to capture the attention of new customers - that haven’t discovered a Bearhawk yet.

Pb
        Last edited by 500AGL; 04-03-2021, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X