Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SuperFlite System 7 Materials List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperFlite System 7 Materials List

I'm ordering my covering and painting materials for my 4-place. I'm using SuperFlite System 7. I got a quote from Molly Dean with quantities for a Bearhawk based on her estimations. Does anyone have a complete materials list of an actual covering and painting of a Bearhawk using SuperFlite? Specifically I would like to know the quantities of primer and paint. I just want to try to get close on the coverage, especially the color quantity so it will come from the same batch.

I know some guys up there who lilke the SuperFlite system, except for the glue. They say they prefer Stewarts glue.

I'm considering using SuperFlite myself, which is why that caught my eye.

Comment

I've thought about this, since reading the initial post. I did Superflite, through the primer, on my Patrol. I can't imagine a half gallon difference between the Patrol and 4 place. My reluctance to respond is two fold; I used an automotive paint (Nason ) for epoxy on the metal parts and the top coat. Second, the primer on the fabric is going to depend on your personal taste. The Superflite fabric primer is a very nice high build primer. It sprays well and dries quick. I think the manual says that 2 coats are acceptable before top coat. I'd shoot 2 medium coats, let it dry, wet sand most of it off and repeat. I probably sprayed 6 coats and sanded off 3 or 4 of those coats. That left a real slick surface for the top coats. I bought 3 gallons of the fabric primer. It could be done with 2.
      I dont know mixing ratios for the Superflite top colors, so I cant comment.
      The Superflite system is all solvent based, so the smell is strong. I don't find the smell any better or worse than Stits. I like Superflite waaaay better! The fabric primer is a joy to work with! It's also great on fiberglass parts.
      Hope this helps a bit.

Bill

Comment

I'll be using superflight as my friend Mark Bills will probably help me out. I've seen his stuff and it shines like a new sports car. If I was doing it myself I would probably use Stewarts.

Comment

Almost good as a mirror...

Comment

I thought it was a really foggy morning there for a bit! Great finish, sir.
            Christopher Owens
            Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
            Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
            Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Mark, the paint job you did on your Pacer is amazing. I wish I could do half as good. I have to say though, the areas we got lucky with on our paint job look fantastic and are very shiny. It's too bad we couldn't get the whole plane to look like a mirror.
              Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Whee,
                Has anyone from Stewart's said anything about color sanding with progressively finer sand paper? Starting at say 1,000 grit to flatten. Then progress to 6k grit....then fin buffing compound...then swirl remover.

Comment

Mark, No but I haven't asked. When we were having issues we were told that if sprayed correctly there is no need to dont anything afterwards. They are right. Also, in cool weather the paint flows for days. The paint looks so much better a couple days later. The side we screwed up bad we sanded with 320 and resprayed, it looks awesome. But after a few days the paint gets really tough, is bet it would color sand pretty well. I plan to try it on the side we didn't respray but it will be a while before we attempt it.
                  Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Originally posted by whee
                    Mark, No but I haven't asked. When we were having issues we were told that if sprayed correctly there is no need to dont anything afterwards. They are right. Also, in cool weather the paint flows for days. The paint looks so much better a couple days later. The side we screwed up bad we sanded with 320 and resprayed, it looks awesome. But after a few days the paint gets really tough, is bet it would color sand pretty well. I plan to try it on the side we didn't respray but it will be a while before we attempt it.
                    Let us know how the color sanding works out. I do know I'll not use the superflight glue on another airplane. Stewart's glue and superflight system 7 paint. If Stewart's color sands out nicely may go that direction on my Bearhawk.

Comment

I took a Superflite covering clinic last fall in Wasilla. I'm signed up again in November. The clinic was fantastic and well-worth the $250 fee. We used all Superflite materials of course, including the glue. It worked just fine and no one had any issues with it.

Comment

The only issue I have with the glue is the Acetone fumes in a closed space.

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
                          alaskabearhawk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It definitely stinks...good to use a charcoal vapor mask with any of that stuff in the long-run.
                      Working...
                      X