Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk First Flight article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk First Flight article

A friend sent me this article out of General Aviation News. Lots of first flights to get us slow builders back on track! Also good pick of Dennis and Donna's Patrols.

The Patrol is becoming a very popular airplane, for good reason! I just e-mailed Mark about this article and he said there are two more Patrols getting ready for first flight. How cool!!!☺️ Keep it up and we'll have a whole row at OSH sooner rather than later! I've mentioned it before, if anybody is contemplating either a kit, plans or a combination of both, my advice is to get as much of a kit as you can afford, or find as much help as you can. This plane is whole lot more fun flying than building.😊

Comment

I grew up an airplane geek. Midwest Products factory was 4 blocks away. They were the biggest supplier of balsa, and sold kits for RC and control line aircratt. Me and my cousin built a few dozen aircraft from scrap from the dumpster behind Midwast Products. By the time I was 14, I was designing my own homebuilt. I got my private at 17. I haven't flown light aircraft on my own since I was 19. Where I lived, Indiana, I didnt't see the point.

I would bet the LS will blow away the Patrol. Maybe not the ultimate performance, but the Cost/benefit. The Bearhawk 4 place kit costs almost the same as the Patrol, because it is almost as big as the 4 Place. The engine can be the same. The LS is only a little less than the Patrol. With a Rotax, you could build a 700 lbs LS, with an electrical system. With a 1500 pound gross weight, and 30 gallons of gas, the Patrol and LS are pretty close. I just ordered a 4 place quick build kit. My second choice was not a Patrol, but a LS. I don't have buyers remorse yet. Maybe next year.

Comment

I always was a fan of RV's, Glasairs, and Lancairs. The couple of years I went to Oshkosh, the prototypes were there for each. 1980-82. But I never bought or built one. I didn't have a reason to own one. I am semi retired. I couldn't order a QB 4 place kit fast enough, but the LS kit gave me pause.

Comment

• Flygirl1
          Flygirl1 commented
          Editing a comment
          If Dennis and I didn't HAVE to each have our own plane, the 4 place is probably what we would have done. We either have two Bearhawk Patrols, one Twin Bearhawk Patrol as we always pretty much fly together, or one four place. What we don't have is a LSA as our birds are kinda heavy. Having said that, they still are seeing 152 MPH indicated at 24/24. As far as cost, yea it did get kinda expensive, but with just a little effort we could have lowered that expense considerably. I'd really like to see a record number of Bearhawk Patrols at OSH next year because I think a row of them would be about the coolest thing, but also ANYTHING Bearhawk in the line would only add to the coolness. Imagine three rows dedicated to all three of them!! Having spent a few days in homebuilt camping being surrounded by mostly RV's, three rows of Bearhawks needs to happen. ;-)

Originally posted by svyolo View Post

I would bet the LS will blow away the Patrol. Maybe not the ultimate performance, but the Cost/benefit. The Bearhawk 4 place kit costs almost the same as the Patrol, because it is almost as big as the 4 Place. The engine can be the same. The LS is only a little less than the Patrol. With a Rotax, you could build a 700 lbs LS, with an electrical system. With a 1500 pound gross weight, and 30 gallons of gas, the Patrol and LS are pretty close.
        I am glad you chose to go with a Four Place Kit. It sounds like you studied all three options very carefully. I think You will be very happy with your decision, and I hope you enjoy the build process as much I am.

I am building a Patrol. In order to defend my pride, I hereby challenge you to a friendly performance demonstration at some time in the future. High Speed, slow speed, useful load, time to climb, short field operations, fuel burn, you name it, game on!

The LSA and Four Place are very different aircraft build for specific missions. Bob told me that if I wanted J3 like performance, choose the LSA, if I wanted Super Cub like performance, go with the Patrol. The excitement for the Patrol Build continues to grow....the excitement is due because the building is just so much fun! The consistent performance and joy all Patrol builders like Dennis and Donna and the article above are demonstrating is pretty cool too.

I think the decision on which aircraft to build is not a cost/benefit analysis question. Its a mission definition issue. Loose your medical, the best option probably becomes the LSA. Everyone has a different mission. Mark & Bob are offering three options to fill the need.

Truth: Building an airplane cannot be financially justified. We build because we want to build...we perceive it as enjoyable....cost wise it does not make sense or cents. Hobbies (Golf, Skiing, travel, Lake House) seldom make financial sense because things like joy and achievement generally involve spending not making. So, if we are to pursue truth, we all analyze our hobby decisions based on enjoyment, and friendships we make along the way.

And this hobby has a way of filtering people....the results are a group of positive, goal oriented, honest, friendly, courteous, kind, thrifty, folks wrapped in a character of joy, peace, patience, goodness, gentleness and mutual encouragement. Its awesome! Its is just a great group of people to be with.

As I ponder what I just wrote, the benefit cost analysis just flipped up side down.....meaning how where would I find, and how far would I have to travel, and how much would it cost me to find a group of people to share life with? And in order to become a part of the group, all it really takes is a decision....you became a member the day you announced "I am going to build a Bearhawk."

For those who are out there dreaming, lurking, and wondering..... I encourage you to make a decision and join us.

The next step after the decision? A quick trip to the lumber yard with your plans for some MDF to make the form blocks. Now thats a good deal!!!
        Last edited by Bcone1381; 11-08-2017, 12:51 PM.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Flygirl1
          Flygirl1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Brooks, What life you have after work and family is building an airplane right now and it helps tremendously to enjoy that part and the fact that you are is fantastic!!! If you are having this much fun in the build, the flying part is gona rock your world!! Also everything you said is spot on. ;-)

Svyolo, welcome to the Bearhawk family!! I'm sure your 4 place is gona rock your world too when you start flying it!!! No doubt the LSA is popular for a lot of reasons, but I'm not sure I would compare it too closely with the Patrol or the Patrol to the 4 place. ( Because I built and fly a Patrol and will defend her character to the end of the earth, I'd challenge you to the same flight test as well as baggage capacity, speed, fuel load, which is a wonderful 55 gal's, which is almost twice as much as 30 gal's...but Brooks already did.;-) Each bird has it's advantages over the other, that's why Bob came up with the idea of them, right?

The 4 place was a pretty easy choice for me because of what I want to do with it. I am sure I would be happy with a Patrol as well. Who knows, maybe I will build another one. The engineer in me loves that the LS does most of what the Patrol does, for 2/3 the weight and gas. Flown at Light Sport Category gross weight, yeah the Patrol has higher useful load. If you aren't restricted by that (in my case I would't care), their full fuel useful load is about the same at a gross weight of 1500 lbs.

Bob didn't just design a Light Sport aircraft. To my mind, he designed the best one out there. I am a fan.

Comment

• JimParker256
          JimParker256 commented
          Editing a comment
          OK - it took me reading all the way to THIS post to figure out what an "LS" was... Assuming that I'm correctly translating svyolo-speak "LS" to Bob/Mark/EverybodyElse-speak "LSA" that is... If not, please educate me. (I must be having a "slow" day today...)

Jim you got it right, but it could have been something else, there are so many acronyms it's hard to say. As far as Bob B. designs, I think I heard mention of another Bob Barrows design in the works?? An Ultra light or an electric engine??

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Bob is working on an ultralight with an electric motor. He has actually made the first parts. Will be a while though. Its over all look will be like a small, one seat BH LSA. Should be fun. Knowing Bob - it will be a lot more airplane than most ultralights. He is shooting for one hour endurance although which batteries to use has not been decided. The main difference in batteries seems to be cost more for quicker changing - or less cost for slower charging.
          Mark

• Chewie
          Chewie commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm looking forward to hearing more about this ultralight!

LOL
        I thought Bob was famous for being allergic to electricity?

Comment

Originally posted by svyolo View Post
          LOL
          I thought Bob was famous for being allergic to electricity?
          Apparently only when it comes from an engine-driven source. LOL
          Jim Parker
          Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
          RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Working...
          X