Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bolts for tensioners on fuel tank straps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolts for tensioners on fuel tank straps

Where are people getting the 10-32 socket head bolts for the strap tensioners? Aircraft Spruce and Wicks sell them, but only 3/4" in length. That doesn't leave much room for adjustment, after they go through the tensioner bars. What are you using, and where did you get them?

I think i used 1" or 1.25" long. I had them in stock but McMaster Carr or MSC would have small quantities you could buy.

Comment

I got mine at Ace Hardware.
      Bobby Stokes
      4-Place Kit Builder
      Queen Creek, AZ
      http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

I bought mine at the local hardware store that has a good bolt & nuts dept. I have used longer screws to get the tensioners started. Then replaced them one by one with shorter screws. Mark

Comment

Cascade's hardware store.

Comment

Aren't they 10-24? We got ours at a local hardware store.

Comment

Local Ace hardware store. Also had the choice between 10-32 or 10-24 threads.
              DFW

Comment

OK, I found them at Ace Hardware. I'd already looked my nearest Ace, which didn't have them, as well as Lowe's and Home Depot. Finally went to a different Ace and found 'em.
                Thanks all.

Comment

Got 1" from McMaster but picked up some 1.25" at Ace as starters like Mark described. Also purchased a nice, long t-handle hex driver. Makes life much easier.
                  Larry Driver
                  Bearhawk 4-Place Quickbuild N22LD
                  Mogollon Airpark, Overgaard AZ

Comment

Yesterday I installed my tanks while the wings are temporarily attached to finish fuel connections and check for leaks and aux pump operation. Even using longer "starter screws" as Mark G suggested for the tank straps, I found it really frustrating to get the screws started. Good that it's winter and the hangar door was down to spare my neighbors a few choice words. Ended going to my local Ace and bought a 6-inch long 10-32 threaded rod. What was a difficult process became very easy. Lines the two straps up nicely and you can push the bottom strap up the rod to bring the two together and insert the second correct length screw, then remove the rod to insert the other screw. Highly recommend.
                    Larry Driver
                    Bearhawk 4-Place Quickbuild N22LD
                    Mogollon Airpark, Overgaard AZ

Comment

I've looked at Eric Newton's pictures of his build, and it doesn't look like there is any locking mechanism on these bolts. Is that correct?

Comment

• jaredyates
                        jaredyates commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Use loctite! I had a pair come loose.

You can get hex head 10-32 screws in various lengths from BoltDepot.com.

John Ciolino
                      Patrol Quick Build

Comment

How much movement do the tanks have when the straps are fully tensioned?

Comment

Hanger straps hold the tanks, while allowing for (relatively) easy removal. The hanger straps are lined with thin rubber insulation, to avoid abrasion. When the straps are tightened, I could detect absolutely no movement of the tanks in the wings. Believe me, they're very secure.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                          X