Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firewall insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewall insulation

I am considering Koolmat but it is awful heavy. Wondering what others have installed that they are happy with?

For the engine bay side I'm considering something along the lines of Ti foil encased fiberfrax. VAF has a good thread on it: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=154919

I won't be putting anything that can melt or smoke on the cabin side.
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

Comment

Here's mine... foil faced fiberglass blanket from ACS. Then spay adhesive and approved vinyl upholstery fabric.

Comment

For a different perspective, I didn't use any insulation and I am perfectly happy with it
        The weight was right, noise cancelling headsets are much lighter than insulation

Comment

For years I've been using an old Lightspeed qfr cross-country headset with strong passive and moderate active noise reduction very happily in cessnas and pipers. In my Bearhawk trainer Avid, it is totally inadequate, even with ear plugs underneath. Exhaust under my feet, uninsulated firewall, and thin windshield. This weekend I went flying with my new Zulu 3 headset and amazed at the phenomenal improvement!

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post
            For a different perspective, I didn't use any insulation and I am perfectly happy with it
            The weight was right, noise cancelling headsets are much lighter than insulation
            Has there been any issues with heat from the firewall inside the cabin? This is my primary concern but if it's not an issue then there's really no reason to cover the engine side. For noise I've resolved to take what I believe is the easiest and lightest approach and invest in some nice ANR headsets for myself and my passengers.

Understanding that a 15 minute continuous fire as described in the FARs is a worst-case scenario it still seems prudent to avoid putting anything on the cabin-side firewall that will melt, smoke, or catch fire if exposed to the kind of heat the FARs say the firewall should endure.

​​​​
            Dave B.
            Plane Grips Co.
            www.planegrips.com

Comment

Originally posted by Archer39J View Post

Has there been any issues with heat from the firewall inside the cabin? This is my primary concern but if it's not an issue then there's really no reason to cover the engine side. For noise I've resolved to take what I believe is the easiest and lightest approach and invest in some nice ANR headsets for myself and my passengers.

Understanding that a 15 minute continuous fire as described in the FARs is a worst-case scenario it still seems prudent to avoid putting anything on the cabin-side firewall that will melt, smoke, or catch fire if exposed to the kind of heat the FARs say the firewall should endure.

​​​​
              The heat is next to nothing. You can leave your shoes on the firewall for snug feet, but "hot" is not the word I would choose You can touch the firewall immediately after landing, and it's a comfortable temperature.

The engine and exhausts are the only parts which get too hot to touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post

The heat is next to nothing. You can leave your shoes on the firewall for snug feet, but "hot" is not the word I would choose You can touch the firewall immediately after landing, and it's a comfortable temperature.

The engine and exhausts are the only parts which get too hot to touch.
                Cool, don't have to deal with that then. Thanks!
                Dave B.
                Plane Grips Co.
                www.planegrips.com

Comment

I agree totally with Battson. There's so much air flowing through the cowl, my (bare) firewall never gets hot. As for noise, the biggest improvement I've noted, is weatherstripping around the windows and doors.
                  I've been flying with a Lightspeed wireless Zulu headset. Absolutely love it! It may be a hair heavier than the older Zulu's, but the lack of wires is NICE!

Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X