Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sizing AN912 Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sizing AN912 Bushings

It's always nice to get a package from Aircraft Spruce until you discover you've ordered the wrong part. So I thought I'd ask before I order again. What size AN912 bushing - thread reducer do I need to go between the 3/8 x 1/4 finger screen on the fuel tank to a AN816-5D Nipple for a 5/16" fuel line?
    Wayne Massey - Central Florida
    BH733
    LSA23
    http://www.mykitlog.com/wlmassey

That stinks Wayne. I didn't realize the LSA was using 5/16 line. So you are going from a 1/4" female pipe thread at the finger strainer to the AN816-5D with 1/8 male pipe thread? Looking at the catalog, it seems like it would be a 912-1D, which one did you order?

Comment

That's what I'm thinking too Jared - AN912-1D. The "1D" was kind of throwing me off. I had ordered all the parts for 3/8" fuel lines only to discover the LSA has 5/16" lines. I'm getting a nice supply of spare AN fittings now though!
      BH733
      LSA23

Comment

Let me know when you get it sorted and I'll update the builder manual. If only you knew someone building a 4-place who could use those 3/8 fittings...

Comment

Yep I think I'll hang on to those 3/8 fittings At the bottom of the box of misc AN fittings are a couple AN823-8D elbows - I have no idea why I ever ordered them or what I would ever use them for
          BH733
          LSA23

Comment

Wayne, you might use the AN823-8D's for an oil cooler installation!

Bill

Comment

• Wayne Massey
              Wayne Massey commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh that's probably what I had them for. I have "fuel" on the brain wasn't thinking oil...

When I was plumbing my LSA, I had almost all the fittings on hand for 3/8" lines. So I ran 3/8". I seem to remember calculating how much more weight the 3/8" lines would have, and it was about 2 ounces if I remember correctly. The bigger fittings themselves probably weigh more as well. But starting fresh I would certainly go with 5/16". Mark

Comment

Wayne, I used a AN912 2D (3/8 NPT x 1/4 NPT) and then used AN816-5-4D ( 5/16 tube x 1/4 NPT) which I had to buy from Wicks as Spruce did not carry them. This way I did not have to reduce all the way to 1/8 NPT.
              Al

Comment

Thanks Al, I like that idea better - that's what I'm going to do. I didn't really like reducing down to 1/8 NPT. Looks like I'll have to order from both Wicks and Aircraft Spruce. Like you mentioned AS doesn't have the AN816-5-4D fittings and Wicks is out of stock of the AN912-2D.
                BH733
                LSA23

Comment

• interstate al
                  interstate al commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If I was to do it over I would go with 3/8 tube as the fittings seem to be more available. I ran into at least one if not two AN fittings that were not made in 5/16 but readily available in 3/8. If I remember which one they were I'll let you know, might save some footwork?

Wouldn't it be less expensive to run 3/8" tube (like Mark G did) than to replace all the fittings? Added bonus - you should have ZERO issues with meeting the fuel flow criteria...
                Jim Parker
                Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• Wayne Massey
                  Wayne Massey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That thought crossed my mind but I have the 5/16" line already. Also I didn't order all the AN fittings for 3/8" line so either way I had to order some AN fittings...

I am not sure how tight your tank is to a rib whether you have to turn coming out the tank or go straight. I believe the finger screen is 1/4" NPT. Fastenal have 2 simple options that would let you connect easily. Install a 1/4NPT to 5/16" barb that would allow a piece of hose to couple to the fittings to tube. We ran hose from the tank to the fuselage where it was slid over the tube.

It saves being creative with NPT to the 5/16" tube.
                There likely is a Fastenal outlet near you somewhere.
                Last edited by Glenn Patterson; 02-04-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Glenn Patterson
                  Glenn Patterson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry I did not catch that this was 2 weeks old.
              Working...
              X