Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended avionics shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended avionics shop?

I was planning to use Stein Air to build my panel and supply all avionics but they just told me they are probably 6 to 8 months from getting to my panel. I really don’t want to wait that long.

Do do any of you recommend a shop that has fair prices and will provide and build everything?

Probably not what you're looking for, but do it yourself! I did and I think it was one of the most enjoyable parts of the whole build. I did Dynon with vertical power. It was easy, much cheaper and I had a blast!

The EAA and Stein Air have great videos to help.
    Bobby Stokes
    4-Place Kit Builder
    Queen Creek, AZ
    http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

How knowledgeable of electronics were you before jumping in? I can wire a home and install a stereo in my car but that sums up my expertise.

Comment

Try an EAA Sportair workshop...I attended their electronics class this past January. Wiring of wire connectors, d-sub connectors, mic jacks, small 22 gage wire soldered connections.

I actually ask myself the same questions that you have asked. I have not started it yet, but I think that building everything I can on a table top, like stein builds it, will help trouble shooting and education with out too much pain I hope. Building it in the airframe for the first time, then trying to troubleshoot and repair problems underneath a panel is what I envision if I dont build it on a table top.

But I do not speak from experience yet, but I think you can do it.
        Last edited by Bcone1381; 04-29-2018, 06:37 AM. Reason: added text
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

For those installing a Garmin G3X system, the Aircraft Electronics Association has a $500 3 day class for avionics installation in homebuilt aircraft. I plan on attending. I think I could muddle my way through the installation but figure the amount of hands on experience and tips you would get should be worth it. Much cheaper than having it professionally done.

Comment

• Bcone1381
            Bcone1381 commented
            Editing a comment
            A class like that can sway my decision making.

Rodsmith, Do you take your panel and avionics with you and build it there with supervision?

Comment

Muley, Depending on the equipment it’s not that hard. My pops made all of our harnesses from scratch. Reading the pinouts is easy. The most difficult part is connecting different manufactures equipment together because their terminology is different. A 5 minute phone call fixes that. Our panel is pretty basic though.

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Originally posted by muleyman78 View Post
              Rodsmith, Do you take your panel and avionics with you and build it there with supervision?
              No, you get hands on training in wiring connectors, laying out wiring bundles etc.

Comment

Sarasota Avionics sold and built my G3X system. I ordered everything at the show in Oshkosh, which got some "show discounts". Those folks were prety easy to work with. I had everything in around 3 1/2 months.
                A buddy of mine attended the class that Rodsmith spoke of. My friend spoke highly of the experience. What little I gleaned, from debriefing my friend, the CAN bus wiring can be tricky. He tried to explain proper vs improper intersection of the various nodes into the network and network terminations. I didn't get it. Sounded to me that the class would be quite important for one contemplating building their own system.

Bill

Comment

I recommend you avoid Avionics Systems in Leesburg, VA. They put my setup together and never delivered all that they promised. They also mis-wired a bunch of stuff and were no help in fixing any of it. They won't return calls and don't stand behind their work. One of the big selling points for me was when they showed me an example of the binder that comes with all the panels they do, it included complete wiring schematics for the harness they built. I never got that binder and the few times I managed to get them on the phone and asked about it they just promised that they would "get that out to you" and of course it never came. It would have made troubleshooting much easier.

I spent a lot of time last year getting my engine instruments to work because they had mis-wired all the pressure and temp sensors. I was able to figure that out but I was lost when it came to figuring out why my autopilot and #2 AHARS weren't working. So I've just been flying without those things.

Now I do have an avionics shop that I will recommend. This guy has a small shop, doesn't advertise, because he has plenty of work to keep him busy just through word of mouth from satisfied customers and he truly stands behind his work. He and I spent most of today going through my wiring harness wire by wire, chasing the CAN bus, sorting out why my autopilot wouldn't come on line and the #2 AHARS was giving a couple fault messages. He found that a couple pins were in the wrong holes out at the roll servo and that the main connector coming from the G3X (about a 35 pin connector) had 5 or 6 pins in the wrong place that go to the pitch servo.

Brian Steed, Airborne Avionics 803-315-3048. He is from the town I live in and all the local guys save their avionics issues for when he comes home to visit and the only complaint I have ever heard about him is that his shop is in South Carolina instead of here in Ohio.

Rollie VanDorn
                  Findlay, OH
                  Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Muleyman, how extensive is your panel? Steam of Canbus? If electronic, it shouldn't be hard to find somebody to help with the wiring. I have never built a D-sub connector, or Canbus, but I am going to have to learn both.

If you are going full-Monty redundant IFR electronics, having somebody build you a panel might not be a bad idea. Below that requirement, it gets a lot less critical.

I haven't searched Youtube for D-sub or Canbus, but I bet there are dozens, if not hundreds or thousands of hits. Youtube University is one of mankinds greatest educational resources. My welding is improving rapidly because of it.

Comment

I had mine completed by Steinair. They did a good job. I did have a couple of pin out problems but they provide a nice print to follow and ring out the connectors. I would use them again.

Comment

I had my radios wired by Stein, but the rest I did myself. Next time I believe I will go with Advanced Flight Systems, they sell a complete panel. They have great tech support.
                        Scott Ahrens
                        Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Working...
                        X