Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tires, When to Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires, When to Buy?

Right now I'm looking at some Michelin 7.00-6 8-ply tires (070-306-0) and Goodyear 7.00/8.00-6 tubes (302-061-400). ACS will let me have these for $633 for the pair. Is it prudent to purchase these now, or wait until I'm closer to flying? Installing my wheels and brakes is something I'd like to get checked off the list. Perhaps I could just rest the rims on some wood holders until I'm ready?

Anyone have ideas on some cheaper tire options?
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

The Specialty Tires Airtrac and Airhawk tires are about $100 less per piece than the Michelins and/or Goodyears. They're popular on many aircraft types. I'm running the Airtrac 8.50s myself.

https://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tire...-STA-AB3H4.asp
    https://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tire...-STA-AA1H4.asp

Note these are 6-ply, not 8-ply, however.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Chris In Milwaukee View Post
      The Specialty Tires Airtrac and Airhawk tires are about $100 less per piece than the Michelins and/or Goodyears. They're popular on many aircraft types. I'm running the Airtrac 8.50s myself.

https://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tire...-STA-AB3H4.asp
      https://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tire...-STA-AA1H4.asp

Note these are 6-ply, not 8-ply, however.
      Right on, thanks! ACS has the Airhawk 8-ply too, which is oddly lighter than the 6 ply, hmm...
      Dave B.
      Plane Grips Co.
      www.planegrips.com

Comment

Tires have a calendar life when exposed to sun and outdoor elements. As long as they are kept in a cool dry area inside your construction area I don’t see a problem purchasing now. Others may disagree.

Comment

I normally buy tires from Desser Tire & Rubber. They have a great selection and prices seem the lowest. Mark

Comment

I'll echo Tailwind; if you keep the tires away from UV's and no temperature extremes, you should be fine.

Not trying to stir any controversy here, but 7.00 x 6 are kinda small, on a bush plane. (Now I'm gonna catch all the flack from the small tire guys...).

Just sayin.

Bill

Comment

I bit the bullet and purchased my 8.50x6 tires and tubes and installed them so I could roll the fuselage around inside the shop. Has come in handy for moving around the shop, as well as for sitting in the seat making airplane noises... (A mandatory part of any build - or so I’m told.)

I went with 8.50s as a compromise: Smallest “bush” tires, but still decent life on pavement. There is a great article on tire size selection over on the Back Country Pilots forum. Great info that you could spend years searching for - all in one place.
              Jim Parker
              Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
              RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Originally posted by Bdflies View Post
                I'll echo Tailwind; if you keep the tires away from UV's and no temperature extremes, you should be fine.

Not trying to stir any controversy here, but 7.00 x 6 are kinda small, on a bush plane. (Now I'm gonna catch all the flack from the small tire guys...).

Just sayin.

Bill
                Hmm, I was just going off the manual suggestion that 7's are a good compromise. Cruise performance is probably more of a factor for me than others.

Though I see 7's aren't even on Battson's write up on BCP, heh.
                Last edited by Archer39J; 05-14-2018, 09:53 PM.
                Dave B.
                Plane Grips Co.
                www.planegrips.com

Comment

• Archer39J
                  Archer39J commented
                  Editing a comment
                  700s, to use the common parlance

Every aircraft repair facility has a stack of used tires that they will give you to use until you are ready to fly

Comment

If price is a factor you might consider 850 recaps. 850 look good and I am told are a good compromise for off airport and airport operation but my 850s lasted 125 hrs. My next set of 850s will be Desser tire recaps.

Comment

Somebody school me on recap aircraft tires. I would hope they hold up better than the road gators we find on the highways. At least on the road you would be less likely to ground loop, bend a wing or worse end up looking at the world upside down with a bent prop.

Comment

700s are a good tire, so no problem there. Definitely affordable. Even Maules come from the factory on 700s
                      Christopher Owens
                      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Why eight ply? Seems stiff for a light plane.

Comment

Originally posted by jim.mclaughlin924 View Post
                          Why eight ply? Seems stiff for a light plane.
                          Is 6-ply the norm for the 4-place? If so I suppose I was misinterpreting the load rating for tires.
                          Dave B.
                          Plane Grips Co.
                          www.planegrips.com

Comment

I'm a little surprised this isn't really covered in any BH materials that I can find. I'm having to turn to VAF to learn about tire ply ratings, which it seems isn't really indicative of how many actual plies are used. I think it would be a benefit to have a blurb about the preferred ply rating in the manual.
                            Dave B.
                            Plane Grips Co.
                            www.planegrips.com

Comment

• jaredyates
                              jaredyates commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That's why we say the manual is in beta testing. Let me know what you figure out and I'll add it. Bearhawk.tips alao allows readers to add comments to each article.
                          Working...
                          X