Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying wires group purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying wires group purchase?

Im getting to the point of ordering the flying wires. Ive read that a place ( unsure where) will make a deal if a group of us buy at once? Does anyone have that info and is anyone wanting to buy soon?

That would be Steen Aero and yes they will do better pricing on sets of 3 or 4 or more. Its been a while so don't remember exactly the qty or discount? Cheryl was great to work with. Here is her contact info.

Cheryl Everette
    Steen Aero Lab, LLC
    321-725-4160

Comment

Originally posted by muleyman78 View Post
      Im getting to the point of ordering the flying wires. Ive read that a place ( unsure where) will make a deal if a group of us buy at once? Does anyone have that info and is anyone wanting to buy soon?
      I would be interested in a group purchase for a discount. Thanks!
      Rob Caldwell
      Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
      EAA Chapter 309
      Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
      YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
      1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Rob, text me your info at 8017076136 and if anyone else wants to get the wires ordered please let me know.

Comment

Any idea what the approximate cost is going to be?

Comment

I spoke with them this morning. To order alone it will be 1100 ish and about 200 less in a group on 5 or more. I am willing to order but we will need to find more builders. Also keep in mind that the lead time is 12 to 14 weeks.

Comment

Was about $800 or so when I inquired, so might have even gone up a bit?

I ended up going the ACS swaged cable rout for about $200 total.
              Dave B.
              Plane Grips Co.
              www.planegrips.com

Comment

Originally posted by Archer39J View Post
                ...I ended up going the ACS swaged cable rout for about $200 total.
                Do you have any pictures of that set up? If this is an effective method with an appealing look, I would like to consider it.

Rob Caldwell
                Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
                EAA Chapter 309
                Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
                YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
                1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by robcaldwell View Post

Do you have any pictures of that set up? If this is an effective method with an appealing look, I would like to consider it.
                  Did one end swaged clevis and one end adjustable.

1.PNG
                  2.PNG
                  3.PNG
                  4.PNG
                  Dave B.
                  Plane Grips Co.
                  www.planegrips.com

Comment

The Steen Tail Wires ends have right threads on one end, and Left threads on the other end. If both ends of each of the swaged cable were fabricated that way, then the cable could be rotated in place to adjust the tension to a precise degree without inducing a twisting force on the cable. I bet Spruce could fabricate them that way.

As an additional note, Steen sells stainless fork ends for our tail wire set up. They are expensive. The standard AN series of forks are not stainless, rather steel. I would be very proud to have the Steen fork ends on my tail. At the same time, (info I got from Waco Aircraft) stainless does not meet the AN specification for strength. I am sure Steen's fork ends are great products and plenty strong for our application, but dont think you have to go with their ends. The AN fork ends from Spruce were a significant savings. Use E-Z Turn to prevent galling though when installing the AN fork ends on the Steen stainless wires if you go that route.
                    Brooks Cone
                    Southeast Michigan
                    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• imacfii
                      imacfii commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi, you will find that 420 stainless does meet the strength specs for AN665 clevis, once it is heat treated and tempered. We have been making flying wires, tie rods and fittings for over 12 years and have no problems. we can give a signfiicant discount for orders of 4 or more. Russ Ward www.vintageaero.com OldSchoolAero.com

You can shorten the run before you fully tighten the tabs at the hinge attach points as well, I think they cover this in the manual. I went this route so I didn't have to buy additional clevises. As you tighten the bolts at the hinge everything tightens up nicely. It also looks like the swaged clevis is more streamlined than the separate part and jam nut also.
                    Dave B.
                    Plane Grips Co.
                    www.planegrips.com

Comment

I just called Cheryl and ordered two sets of the wires for customers that are overseas. Two more orders are needed to get the 5 sets and the discount. So I request if you guys are going to go this route - go ahead and make your orders so we can start the ball rolling. Thanks. Mark

Comment

Russ Ward here. We have been making streamline flying wires and tie rods for over 12 years and recently (last week) completed 3 sets of wires for 4place Bearhawks down here in New Zealand. On the lower round tie rods we recommend a layer of shrink wrap tubing to protect them. As a favour to the BearHawk community, we can now offer these wires at US$175 each for a single set or US$155 each for an order of 4 sets, with a lead time of 3 weeks. . We have polished Stainless Steel Clevis assemblies at US$40 each, or refurbished nickel plated steel assemblies at US$25 each. RussWard@hotmail.com or www.vintageaero.com.

Comment

Thanks for joining in Russ. How, specifically, are you addressing hydrogen embrittlement in the refurbished nickel plated assemblies?

Comment

i am aware of hydrogen embrittlment in specific industrial ( high pressure petrochemical process ) environments... is this a concern in refurbished components?.... are there specific known failure modes we need to know about?

Comment

Working...
                            X