Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One, or both elevator trim tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One, or both elevator trim tabs

My B Model kit has both trim tabs welded into the elevator. I am trying to decide if I should cut out one, or both. I have seen some BH's with the left trim tab terminated because of the effectiveness and sensitivity of a single trim tab (right side). I am planning on the same unless there is a strong case for deploying two elevator trim tabs. What have others done?
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Bravo kits have a much smaller trim tab than the original, or maybe this was changed at some point on original kits as well I'm not sure. I've only read of folks using a single trim tab when they were larger. I've cut both mine out and hooked them up as per the plans.
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

Comment

With the small tabs from the factor and per the modern plans, you need two tabs for sure. They are very effective at high speeds, but you need all their range of travel at low speed.
      Two individual tabs are also good from a redundancy and risk mitigation perspective.

Comment

Good points. I will activate both trim tabs.
        Rob Caldwell
        Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
        EAA Chapter 309
        Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
        YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
        1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Rob, you would be wise to build your kit to the plans and not look for things to modify. Mark

• robcaldwell
          robcaldwell commented
          Editing a comment
          I probably should have worded the question differently... I saw a Bearhawk with a terminated left elevator trim tab using AN3 bolts and fender washers. Wanted to know if there was something to this. Not trying to look for unnecessary mods.
      Working...
      X